Monday, July 11, 2005

My weekend

I guess I'll start on Friday...I can't remember when the last time posted something, so if I repeat myself, blame senility.

After work, I went home and found that my poker chips had been delivered to my neighbor's house. Luckily she is nice and brought them right over. They are pretty neat chips. They probably aren't the best quality, but if I wanted the best chips on the market, I would have paid $150 instead of $50. They have good weight and feel and the dollar amounts are printed on the chips. The only negative is that 150 or them are $1 chips. I usually only use $5 chips and up, so the $1 chips are kinda useless. I may just tell people that they are $10 chips if I ever need to use $10 chips. I suppose I could use a Sharpie and add a zero after the one......

Saturday I worked. BORING!!! I can't wait until I get to start working from home. "In July" is what they keep telling me. Well guess what, IT IS JULY!!! I just get so bored here. At home I'll at least be able to do some laundry or listen to the radio when I want. Anyway, after work I had a small poker game at my house to break in the chips. The first game went bad for me. I was third out. Honestly though, I played OK, I just got shitty cards. Plus, I really didn't enjoy the people I was playing with. Not that I didn't like the people I played with, they were just bad poker players. Not bad in he sense that they didn't know how to play, bad in the sense that there was a lot of table talk and lucky breaks that should never have happened. For example, I was in a hand with someone, I was bluffing, but I was doing a great job at bluffing. I knew that this guy had nothing, but thanks to the encouragement from his friends, he called me and beat me. He was going to fold. His friends egged (is that right? egged?) him on and he called. I lost. And then the final three players took FOREVER to finish. No one bet before the flop and no one bet more than the minimum. Finally, after FIVE HOURS, the game ended. We started up another one and I did a lot better. I was able to tell what everyone had and I took three people out within the first five or six hands. It was great. Then, the third to last person was taken out by the other guy playing, ad we went heads up. My cards got colder than an Eskimo skinny dipper. The best hand I got the entire time was a pair of deuces. I bet it, he called. He has three deuces. I lost. Oh well. I did the best I could with the cards I received.

We also got an offer on our house. Great news right? Not exactly. This guy expects us to knock off $5000 from our asking price and pay his closing costs. Not Happening! We would lose money. Basically, we countered that we'd pay his closing costs if he gave us what we were asking. He counter offered saying that he'd go up $1000 fro his original offer. So, basically he expects us to knock off $4000 and pay his closing costs. I'm thinking that we are not going to sell to this guy.We at least need to break even on the sale of our house. I am not going to pay money (other than the commission and other costs that I am obligated to pay) so that someone will buy my house. This guy is just being ridiculous. We have another showing today, so if he doesn't except our next offer, we'll tell him tough luck. There's a house down the road that is the same floor plan as ours, but is half as nice. He can buy that one and then spend $10000 fixing it up to be as nice as ours.

Sunday we went to some open houses around Westerville (northeast of Columbus). One had a great pool. It took up the entire back yard. The house looked like hill billies lived there. The garage was converted into a fourth bedroom and there were mirrors all over the walls. The best part is that the realtor left the door locked because of 'the crazies out there'. I want to live in a neighborhood where the realtor is too scared to leave the door unlocked for an open house. We did see one house that would work for us, but it is in contract already. Why was there an open house then? Good question. It was a very nice place and in our price range, but we really want something in Hilliard. We're just worried that we may not find something in Hilliard (southwest of Columbus and closer to my work). Well, we'll find something eventually. I'm more worried about selling our house. Anyone interested?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weekend doesn't sound so bad...read my blog, and don't make me compete with Woody on photography...I did a shoot with Gretchen' sister last Dec.

http://www.3sight.com/portrait/index.html

Anonymous said...

Not in the market for a house, but good luck! There are all sorts of houses for sale near our place - Wilson Rd. just north of 270. It's a Columbus address, but Hilliard school system.

Eric Rhodes said...

Amy, if the house is in Hilliard schools, and within our price range, we've probably looked at it. We actually put a bid on a house near the intersection of Wilson and Trabue. Didn't get it though. We are trying to get one that is off of Rome Hilliard now.