Saturday, June 11, 2005

how I lost the last Hold'em tourny I was in

I was in a charity poker tournament a few weeks back, playing Texas Hold'em. I was doing pretty well and ended up one of the last five people at the last table. I wan't chip leader, but wasn't short stack either. The down cards are dealt and my pulse quickens as I look at my cards and see 'Big Slick' (that's an ace and a king, for those of you that don't know). My pusle quickens even more as I see the flop: ace, king, ten. I bet big. One person follows me in. As the turn card is flipped over (nothing worth remembering) I figured that I have this hand won and go all in. When my opponent calls me, we show our cards and she flips over a jack and a queen. For those of you keeping score, that means that my two pair of aces and kings was getting the shit kicked out of it by an ace high straight. Needless to say, the river card was NOT an ace or a king. To quote Larry the Cable Guy, "I was angrier than a one legged stipper trying to do a table hop". I was taken from my comfortable position of having several thousand chips to a complete world of poker hell with three hundred chips. The blinds were $150 and $300 and I was sitting on the big blind next hand. Through alot of skill and even more luck, I was able to stay in two more hands, even getting back up to a respectful chip count, but the bad beat I had taken from a few hands ago threw me off my game for the rest of the day. I was fifth place, one place away from taking home some money.

No comments: