Friday, April 27, 2007

OSU Fottball Ticket Woes

So, if you have ever read this blog, you know that I am an Ohio State alumni and football fan. I went to college at OSU and went to all the games for 5 years, including several away games and 4 bowl games. As an alum, I get an offer every year to get a pair of tickets to a home game. Depending on the opponent, it can be a good deal or a bad deal. For example, a few years ago, I got Michigan State tickets. Good deal. Last year, Northern Illinois. Not a great deal. This year, I am being offered tickets to Youngstown State. yippie skippie. I used all lower case because that is how unexcited about that game. A few years ago, I would have gotten the tickets and enjoyed to fun and festivities of an OSU football game. That was back when a pair of tickets wasless that $100. Now, face value of two tickets to an OSU home football game: $126. I still may buy the tickets, but I'm not too sure. It is an awfully high price for a not-so-great football game. Looking at the home schedule, there really aren't too many games that I would want to pay so much money for. After Youngstown State, there is Akron, Northwestern, Kent State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Really, the best game would probably be Wisconsin or Michigan State. It seems like all the big games this year are away: Washington, Purdue, Penn State, and M*ch*g*n. I have an opportunity to go to Washington through the Marching Band, but I don't know if I can afford it or not. I know, I complained about ticket prices last year. I guess I should just shut up about it and accept it.

3 comments:

Woody! said...

That's the price of following a bigtime football program. Meanwhile, I get to see my Bearcats take on West Virginia, Louisville, Oregon State and three other games for sixty bucks. Total! My season tickets are half the cost of one of your games. Interesting debate on who's getting more value.

Eric Rhodes said...

I knew someone would point that out to me. you'd think that, with the TV money, they could ease off the fan cost a bit. You're right though. You want big school games, you need to pay big school prices.

Bryan said...

Ya, I got Youngstown St. also, not buy them, not even sure I'll be in town. Though I have gone to all the home games for the last 2 years for free, and on the field so I can't complain too much. Though I was working. Ya, ticket prices are getting out of hand for OSU games. But if you give a bunch of $ you can get the "opportunity" to buy season tickets.