Monday, April 23, 2007

Outdoor work can HURT

So, yesterday I took a day off from work to do some yard work. First, I have to say that I kind of hate taking days off, because Jessica always wants to go shopping instead of letting me do what I wanted to do. Yesterday wasn't bad though, since she wanted to go to Target (and bought two things only) and Lowe's to get plants. Since we were planning on yard work, the plants were ok. I was planning on doing that sort of stuff anyway. We bought two azaeleas, two tea rose bushes (little flowers), a a climbing rose bush, and some other plants. Jessica cleared out the entire front flower bed and we are putting in new stuff. We didn't like the old stuff that was planted there. It was very boring and green. No other colors. The hardest part of the day was digging up a big bush on the side of out house. The roots probably spread out five feet in each direction. After pulling the first root all the way out (and creating a trench as a result) I just started cutting the roots and leaving them. Hopfully they don't start sprouting. I'd say that it took me a full two hours to get the damn thing up. It was SO ugly too. Why anyone would want a bush like that is beyond me, but my neighbors have three along their deck. UGLY. I guess not everyone can have good taste like we do. I still have a huge 'to do' list. I am hoping that my mower will start up so that I can mow the lawn. It is probably about a week over due. The biggest project that I am putting off is getting the garden ready. I got a Mantis tiller for Christmas, so it shouldn't be too bad, but it is still going to be a lot of work. anyone feeling bringing a shovel over and lending a hand? I promise good food and hard drink.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should move out into the county that way you can really go to town on the yard, garden, flower beds, orchards . . . .

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time to me. I love playing in a garden and landscaping, etc.

Eric Rhodes said...

Well Mona, feel free to stop by anytime. We have a TON of stuff to do still. Trimming trees and bushes, digging up the garden, weeding, planting.....it'll be a hoot!

Amy, I think I have plenty to keep myself busy here in the 'burbs.

Bryan said...

start the mower?!?!

I've mowed the lawn 3 times already this spring, sun flowers are about 6 inches high and the garden is fully planted. Get moving!






Well, I guess my growing season starts a bit sooner then yours ;)

Eric Rhodes said...

It's pretty easy to get stuff all caught up outdoors when one is in betwen jobs. Must be a rough gig. Now, it has been raining, so my grass is about knee high. Ok, not that bad, but it's tall. How is the new house going B?