Thursday, April 26, 2007

I hate to get political

I usually try to keep things light and airy here on my blog, with a hint of minty freshness. However, I read a post today from Amy's Husband Johnny relating to the war in Iraq and I thought I needed to throw in my two cents. I would have left a comment on his post, but I had to sign in and I was unable to do so (or too dumb to do so). Follow this link to get to Johnny's blog if you want to read his post. To sum it up, it looks like both congress and the senate want to see an end to the war in Iraq. They are submitting a bill to be passed that will give more funds to the war, but only if there is a date set to withdraw the troops. At least I think that's the jist of it all. It will fall to Good Ole G. Dubya to sign the bill and basically end the war. Makes sense to me. Half of the people in Iraq seem to be protesting the fact that the US troops are over there. Sure, the news shows the good things that are coming out of the US presence in Iraq, but you really need to wonder if that is all just propeganda. If the Iraqi people love us and want our help so badly, why are there so many terrorist cells still? Who is hiding them? If the people want to be rid of them, why don't they do what I would do...grab a gun, join the army or militia and fight for their rights. I know that is easy to say, but how long can you live under terrible circumstances before you stand up and fight? In my opinion, I think it is great that US citizens want to help make the world better, but there has to be a time when we look in our own boarders and fix all of the screwed up stuff in our own country. There are starving people all over the place in the US. There are serious educational issues and a list of other problems that the billions of dollars that we are spending in Iraq could help fix. Plus, why all of the focus on Iraq when there is ALL sorts of terrible things happening in Africa.

I could go on and on. Basically, our world is pretty screwed up. I think the prez is crazy to think that carrying on a war is going to change the way that the Iraqi terrorists think about the US. I think that it is time to step back, look at the situation, and change the way we are approaching things. I don't have the answers, but it is pretty apparent to me that the president doesn't either. He keeps throwning more and more troops into harms way. Why? Democracy? The different sects of Muslims have never really gotten along, so why would they start just because we want them to? They can't agree to stop killing each other, much less agree on a system of government. Unfortunately, the end result is probably going to be an Iraqi civil war that will last a long time. I just don't think that the US can afford to play referee anymore. If the president doesn't start listening to the US people, the congress and the senate, I think that he may have some issues of the impeachment kind. If the majority of the people want an end to the war, isn't Mr. Bush supposed to listen? He seems to like to imply that going against the war means that you don't support the troops, but that is bull. I support the troops 100%, but feel that the reason they are fighting should be justified. Sorry. I am off my soap box now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bush sucks ass.

Eric Rhodes said...

True dat! I can't believe that the people voted him back in to office after lying and saying that he talks to God on a regular basis. It's OK to be religious, but aren't we supposed to have a separation of church and state?