Monday, April 09, 2007

I need to get back on the Diet Wagon

As you know, last year I was doing the South Beach Diet and it was going pretty well. I had lost about 50 or 60 pounds depending on which scale I used. Basically, on the south Beach Diet, you cut out all of the carbs from your diet for two weeks. You then start adding some 'good' carbs back into your diet. Add some excercising, and you lose weight pretty fast. My problem is that I am a stress eater and our lives have been double stuffed with stress over the last several months. If you read this blog regularly, you know most of the issues. There are more that are too personal to post on the internet, as I'm sure most people have. Then, add in the fact that I LOVE whiskey. Manhattans and whiskey in Diet Squirt are my two favorite drinks. Drinkin' makes me want to snack. So, so make a long story short, I have gained some weight back. The Holiday season is no help either. For example, Easter. We had a day full of sweets and good meals. And since you know that you are going to have a day of bad eating, you think, 'I might as well buy and eat a bag of Doritos." Not good for the weight. What I NEED to do is stop drinking and buying bad snacks. I am sorta on the diet. I eat well in the morning and for lunch and even dinner, but in the evening when I am winding down for the night, I have a drink and another, and then start snacking. The problem now is that, since we had Easter dinner at our house, we have all sorts of good, fattening foods left over in the fridge. I made some KILLER peanut butter, cream cheese, chocolate cookie thingys (I think I had them at my cookout last year). Plus, the kids have a TON of candy. I have very bad self control when it comes to sweets. I just need to get myself motivated when I have time to excercise. I always want to get on the tread mill when I have to work or do other things. I need to start drinking only water all day (well, my AM coffee too). Can anyone help? What type of motivational techniques do you use? I am tired of feeling fat and lazy all the time. What do you do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Despite the fact that I've been exercising and eating healthy for about 9 years, I've managed to gain almost 20 pounds in the last 3 or 4 years. One reason is that I lost too much weight and needed to gain about 5 pounds or so, the other 15 is because of major stress over the last two years. And perhaps the fact that I'm no longer in my twenties. My quest is to lost about 10 pounds by the end of May. I think walking/jogging is about the best exercise ever. I have been walking to work a few times a week, which is a little over 3 miles one way. And, of course, lifting weights is crucial. I lift at least three days per week, usually more like 5 - upper body twice per week, lower body once and abs once. What motivates me - challenging myself and seeing improvement (to see improvement you need to have a more organized regimen that you maybe even write down), working out with a partner to make it more social/fun, feeling so much better physically and emotionally after exercise and feeling like I'm doing something good for myself.

Anonymous said...

Go slow and change only a little. That is my advice. I had a bad MT.DEW habit I developed. It was my morning coffee and sometimes my afternoon and evening coffee. Bad habit when you are pregnant. So the only way I kicked it was not buying. Except for an occasionally splurge. I buy a 20 ounces which is more that I should have in a day. Too bad. Buying a 20 ounce is more expensive than a case of the cans, but if I buy a case I will drink them all in no time. Now that I got that habit under control I am working on Candy. Which is hard when my husband has just as bad as a sweet tooth. Going slow and little will give you slow results but they are more likely going to last a life time. My motivations is Emma. Don't don't want her to have habits like me. Oh also I have started to watch fat. I skip anything with Trans fat. I just pick something different that is also a favorite. I have many. I go for nothing that has more than 3 grams of sat. fat no matter how big or small the services are. It helps that I have many favorites because that way if I can't have one thing I still find something that I like. Just pick one thing to work on and after you master than move on to something else.

Bryan said...

Ya, exercise is one of the most important things you can do, even if it's just walking. I need to get back into it myself. You might try Weight Watchers, it pretty much trains you how to eat and more importantly, how much you eat. Also, when you go shopping, find other snack foods, we just don't buy them anymore and if they are not around, then you can't eat them. And ya, pop or soda as they say down here is one of the worst things, pretty much empty calories and/or sugar, even diet. i wish ya the best, it's hard to get started, but once you get in a habit things go easier. Oh, and go check out my new blog ;)

Woody! said...

The two best forms of exercise I have found are swimming and rock climbing. Both work your entire body at the same time, so those seemed efficient to me.

As for food, I would suggest cutting out fries. As someone said earlier, this is a place where "empty calories" build up.

That being said, now I have to follow my own advice... after lunch.

Eric Rhodes said...

Wow. Good advice everyone. I think my problems are laziness and alcohol. I always intend on starting to excersize. Every Sunday, I think "OK, I am going to get on the treadmill starting tomorrow." Then Monday comes and I feel too drained from working all day. I need to cut out the whiskey to. I really don't drink alot of pop (only diet) and I rarely eat fries. Don't think the starting slow will work out for me. If I gradually get into diet and excercise, it would be easy for me to get out of the habit too. I think that I just need to make the decision and get'er done. I just wish that there was no candy around for all sorts of temptation.