Monday, April 02, 2007

"New Math" SUCKS

Ok, I don't usually like to post twice in a day, but I feel strongly about this whole 'new math' bull shit. I was trying to check Noah's math homework (he's had a bit of trouble in math lately) and it was all strange to me. He was working on 'algebra'. There were some numbers and an X, which I got, but there was also an X with another line through it. Apparently, that was suppsed to be "the opposite of X". Here I thought that the opposite of X was -X. There were also white triangles and black triangles. WHAT THE FUCK??? How are parents supposed to help their kids with math homework when it is TOTALLY different from the math that they (parents) were taught? I know algebra. Geometry and trig too. But this 'new math' bullshit is beyond me. The worst part is that the kids can't take their books home these days (I guess they don't want the books stolen, lost, or damaged) so I have nothing to reference. For those of you with kids not in school, watch out. It's WAY different than when we were in school. God, am I really one of those old guys that say, "Back when I was in school......"? Shoot me now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I was trying to help my friend's daughter with math and the way I was showing her how to do something wasn't the way the teacher had told her how to do it (nor the book) so it was a bit odd. No books allowed home???? That's a little ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

What is up with that. Last time I checked 2+2=4 You can't change math. Ok we are learning new stuff in science, but math is math. You remember Lisa. She is a 6 grade LD teacher. She was so proud of getting a seven grade math question right. Well I could get it also, but the way they are teaching kids to do it was so backwards and dumb. No wonder why kids are now falling behind in academics.

Bryan said...

ya, gretchen and i's kids are going to be screwed when it comes to math, we both suck, but they should rule in the art world....ya that will go far ;)

Woody! said...

Give my mom a call. Maybe she can help your kids out like she helped you and everyone else in our grade out. :)

Eric Rhodes said...

B, Looks like your kids will be behind the eight ball when it comes to spelling, grammar, and punctuation too! :) Love ya B!

Woody, do you think your mom would make house calls? She certainly got me through math class several times.

Amy, I think that the mat is going to bet more 'normal' through the higher grades. I think the 'new' math is to make kids be able to visualize the problems better.

Yup Mona, no books at home. I don't get it. I tried showing Noah something the way I knew how to do it and he said I was doing it wrong too. It's just craziness.