Thursday, September 13, 2007

I am starting to hate ESPN

Ok, I don't normally watch ESPN too much, but I have been watching quite a bit this week. I'm not sure why. Probably because my mom is visiting and, instead of playing my Xbox, I have the TV on something that everyone likes a bit: sports. My parents both like Indians baseball and football (pro and college). I also like watching poker, which has been on ESPN all week. Anyway, I am getting sick of shows like Sports center and the other 'news' shows on ESPN this week. Why? Because they are taking stories and beating them to death and also wasting time with non stories (in my opinion).

The story they are beating to death is about that Bills player that had a spinal cord injury. I feel really bad for the guy, honestly. It is terrible that something like that would happen to anyone. What bothers me is the constant replay of of the hit that caused the injury. Over and over, different angles, in slow motion, close-ups, and then showing him twitching: basically, they are using the most terrible moment in this man's life to improve their ratings. I think it is sick. I know it is a story, but they should show the guy a little bit of respect and allow him to have some privacy and dignity, instead of using the worst moment of his life to gain ratings. Tell the story, then let it go.

The non-story is the insane amount of coverage that the Notre Dame vs UM game is getting. ESPN.com has UM as their main cover story. Two 0 and 2 teams playing each other isn't news, it is a joke. Sure, It is news that these teams, who are usually top in the country, are both 0-2, but now that they proved they suck, why should anyone care that these two disappointments are playing each other? I don't. I guess one team's fans will be happy about a W, but there are plenty of 0-2 teams out there and none of them are getting near the same attention. What about the 2-0 Buckeyes going to 2-0 Washington? Both teams are 2-0, OSU is #10 in the country, and Washington has two big wins over quality teams, but the game is barely scoring a blip on the radar. Oh well. I am over it already. If they big college football news is that both M*ch*g*n and Notre Dame suck, I am ok with it. It could be worse. They could be covering OSU being terrible if they had lost their first two games....... Good thing they are 2-0 and ranked 10 in the nation. I just hope that the offense blows the 3 point spread out of the water.

GO BUCKS!

1 comment:

Woody! said...

Yeah, ESPN has turned themselves into something you can only watch for a few minutes a day because of their limited scope of what they consider news and how much they feel they need to blab about it.