Monday, July 23, 2007

Harry Potter Mania

Lefty's posting about it: Harry Potter mania is sweeping the globe this month with both the release of the latest Harry Potter movie (Order of the Phoenix) and Saturday's release of the final book, The Deathly Hallows. 11 million books sold in one day? Are you kidding me?? That's amazing. Did you know that J.K Rowling was broke and living on the streets when she wrote the first Hary Potter book? Can anyone say, "multi-millionaire?" I knew you could. Anyway, due to the lack of a reliable sitter, we have not yet seen the latest movie. I think that we are going to go tonight. I did, however, add myself to the 11 million people that bought the book Saturday. I have read all of the books to date and have been looking forward to the release of The Deathly Hallows. I am not the fastest reader in the world, and I really don't have a ton of time to read, what with my enormous Xbox habit, but I am already several chaptes into the book. I was up until 2:30 am on Saturday night because I got caught up in an exciting chapter. Needless to say, so far this has been the darkest and most grusome book to date. And I am not even half way into the book. It will require some serious editing to avoid an R rating in the movie theaters if the gore continues. It's not the movie Hostle gore, but still, some gross parts so far. I think that I was fortunate in the fact that I saw some of the movies before reading the books. The First book, The Sorcerer's Stone, was a bit weak and definately more of a kids book. The same was true for The Chamber of Secrets. Rowling's writing improved and The Prizoner of Azkaban really got good and all the other books to date have been excellent. If you have never ead them, give them a try. My favorite book so far has probably been The Order of the Phoenix. I can't wait to see the film. I was suprised when I asked one of my co-workers, April, if she was getting the new book and she said she had never read any of them or saw any of the movies. Are you kidding me? I thought that everyone has read at least one of the books. You should really start at the first book though so that you get all of the back story and character develpoment. The movies do a good job of telling the story, but you really miss out on some good subplots and side stories if you don't read the books.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

Ya, Gretchen is reading the last book now. I haven't read any yet, but I might start and I don't have to wait for any books at this point. I've seen all the movies cept for the newest one, but we will probably see that one shortly.

Anonymous said...

I read the first book, which I really enjoyed. I started the second and never got through it.

Eric Rhodes said...

We went to the latest movie last night. It was really good. Lots of excitement. I recommend it to all.

Roger Owen Green said...

JK's richer than QE2. And yes, she was broke - there was a piece on 60 Minutes a few years back. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/06/12/60minutes/main558428.shtml?source=search_story. The Magic Behind Harry Potter: Lesley Stahl Interviews Harry Potter Author, June 2003.