Sunday, December 16, 2007

Wood? Really??

So, Jessica and I are approaching our fifth wedding aniversary (01/06). It's hard to believe that it's only been five years....it seems like an eternity! JUST KIDDING!!! Seriously though, I really can't believe it's only been five years since we went to Las Vegas to get hitched. There have been ups and downs, but all in all I think we are doing very well. At least we aren't planning on separating or anything. We have some great kids, a nice house, are financially independant (more or less), and have good times together. What more do you need? So, I was wondering what one gets for one's spouse on their fifth anniversary. I firgured it would be something nice, like gold, wine, china, or something sentimental. Nope. Apparently, the fifth anniversary is the wood anniversary. "Happy anniversary, honey! Here's a stick!" I guess it could be something like furniture or a wooden picture frame, but wood seems like a pretty weak gift for the fifth anniversary. Considering I know people that have been married, divorced, and remarried in less than five years, I would think that a fifth wedding anniverary would rate something a little more flashy. I think maybe I just like spending money too much because I think of jewelry or other expensive gifts when I buy presents for my sweetie. The only bummer this year is that Jessica has to work on our anniversary this year. I guess I can cook a nice dinner or something before give her a twig. Maybe I will give her a homemade certificate good for one tree to plant in the spring. It can be our love tree! How cheesey! Seriously though, I know she wants a weeping cherry tree, so maybe that's not so bad of an idea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...interesting. I could say something crass right now, but I'm going to bypass the crass remark. Soooo, yeah, why don't you get her a necklas or earrings....non-wood. I can't think of a single thing I would be excited about that's made of wood. Well, except maybe furniture or somin'. But that doesn't seem like an anniversary gift.

Eric Rhodes said...

Mona, you have a dirty mind. Of course, I thought the same thing when I saw the gift was supposed to be wood. I aleady got earrings for Christmas, so I am kind of at a loss. We probably have too much furniture as it is, so I will probably be lame and just order roses or something like that.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what you're talking about, Eric. Not a single dirty thought ever enters my mind. :)