Saturday, August 25, 2007

When Hilliard Plays Against Hilliard, Does Hilliard Win?

We had our first central Ohio highschool football experience last night. I had a great time in my highschool days going to football games on friday nights and playing in the band. Hanging out with my firends, playing music, it was a good time. Anyway, now I am getting old and have kids in school. Not highschool, but Noah will be there soon. We live in the Hilliard school disctict. Currently, there are two different highschools in the Hilliard district: Hilliard Darby (our school) and Hilliard Davidson (last years state champs). A third highschool is in the planning stages. Hilliard is a good school system and alot of people (like us) move out here to take advantage. There are currently 9 K-1 classes at Gabe's school. Last night was the first ever meeting between Davidson and Darby. Since it was a bit of a big deal, they held the game at Columbus Crew Staduim. Maybe they wanted a neutral site. You can imagine that the kids of Hilliard like to have the whole 'we're better than you' attitudes when it comes to Darby vs Davidson. Times just don't change. I remember feeling the same way about Rossford or Springfield. Another thing that doesn't change is the circles of kids hanging out and talking rather than watching the game. I would talk to my friends, but I liked watching the game as well. I think that everyone, Darby and Davidson fans alike, expected the Davidson team to win. They were picked as a preseason favorite to go into the playoffs again. Darby was also picked to be one of central Ohio's top teams. Let me tell you, football has changed a bit since my highschool days. they ran alot of misdirection runs and options. Both of the teams QBs were quick and good at running the different plays. One of the Darby playes went for about 80 yards but was called back on a bone head block in the back. There were probably less than ten passes the whole game. It was still an enjoyable game to watch. The Davidson kicker made a 44 yard field goal. The final score was Darby 21 and Davidson 10. Looks like no repeat for Davidson. Alydia likes watching the cheerleaders and the boys seemed to enjoy the game. I found it funny that Darby's mascott was named Bruiser (a panther). The team colors are black and blue. You know, like a bruise.

The bands were OK. Davidson was a little weak and hard to hear at times, but Darby was pretty good. they both played bits of their competition shows. It was weird, both schools had a piece where the director was in the middle of the band with a cow bell keeping time. I had never seen that before. My guess is that it had something do to with the competition aspect of the shows. I thought it was a little cheesey. Especially since the cow bell didn't go with either og the pieces.

2 comments:

Woody! said...

You know these damn kids nowadays... they think everything needs more cowbell.

By the way, I'm only 100 points behind your Xbox gamerscore! Watch out!

Eric Rhodes said...

I haven't been able to get on the Xbox lately. Plus, my dead Rising disk got scratched. Can you say PISSED??? I guess I will need a new one when it gets cheaper. I need to get another game to play so that I can gain more achievements.