Friday, August 03, 2007

Almost Done.....

I have only 100 pages left in the last Harry Potter book. So far, it is really good...in spurts. There is alot of back story about Dumbledore and some slightly lame side stories. Still, the main plot of Harry, Ron, and Hermione tracking down Voldemort's Horcruxes is great. Lots of action and good story lines. Also, some twists and turns that keep you off guard. One thing that really catched me off guard is when someone important dies. It's not that I don't expect characters to die, but the way that some deaths are presented is a little suprising (I guess that it is the word.) I won't say who died, of course, but it is a few important characters. My biggest complaint about all of the Harry Potter books is that Harry is such a whiney little bitch sometimes. I understand that it makes him seem more human and he is only supposed to be 17, but I just want to tell him to get over himself sometimes. Life is shitty for everyone in the wizarding world in this book. Still, I am reaching the climax of the story and can't wait to see how things end. J K Rowling has really created a great world and a wonderful set of characters. If I were her, I would keep milking the Harry Potter cash cow for all it is worth. I guess if, in the end Voldemort and/or Harry die, alot of the drive and tension behind the story will be gone, but there is still alot that could go on the the world of Harry Potter. Look at all of the Start Wars books out there. Sure, some are complete garbage, but alot of them have some really good stories. Just because Luke offed the Emperor and Vader doesn't mean that he eliminated all of the Empire's forces. The same can be said for the Harry Potter universe. Well, we shall see. Maybe J K Rowling will start seeling licensing rights and let other authors take a stab at Harry's 'verse.

No comments: