Friday, June 22, 2007

Best Call and Worst Beat Ever. In the Same Hand

After winning my last tournament, I decided to play in a cash game last night. We started with four players and I started out pretty strong. I was making good calls and getting good cards, and was soon up $40. I was feeling pretty good as more and more players showed up. We maxed out at 12 players at the table. As the night went along, I was still playing well, but my hand quality was going down. I was hitting fewer big hands, so I started playing more defensively. I hit more big pots when I had the cards and around midnight, I was up to $240+/-.. No kidding. I was feeling GREAT about myself. I was playing really tight because some of the bets were getting out of control. I was playing with some guys with some serious cash and some of the bets were getting up to $70+ range. Now, I don't nomally do that. I can't afford it. Then is happened. Throughout the night, I noticed that Bennie (one of the players) was making big bets at odd times when he didn't hit his hand. It was only when there was already a lot of money in the pot. Basically, he was trying to buy pots. I noticed this on several occasions. Anyway, I was dealt 8-6 of spades. not a great hand, but this was one of the rare occasions that the opening bets were below $5, so I played them. Two spades came up on the flop, giving me four spades towards the flush (5 cards of all one suit). The turn card was another spade, so I had a flush. It was a low flush though. Remember that I only had 8-6 of spades. Two higher spades would beat me. Anyway, I bet big. Maybe $10 (big for me, but not for the table last night). Bennie goes all in, which turned out to be another $73. YIKES!!! Now, remember, I was plus $220 for the night, so I was thinking about this. I would still have alot of money if I called and lost. Remembering his tendancy to make a big bet with nothing, I called Bennie. AND I WAS RIGHT!!!! He had a jack of spades and a six of clubs. I was dominating him with only one card left to come up. The only thing that could beat me was if another spade came up, giving him a higher flush (jack high vs 8 high). there were literally seven cards that he could hit to win. Seven. Anyone want to guess what came up? A MOTHER F*#&ING SPADE!!!!! After that hand, I was crushed. I should have left with my $100+, but wanted to hang out more. I didn't win another hand for the rest of the night. I left with more money than I went with, but having $74 at the end of the night feels alot different than leaving with $300+. I guess I souldn't be too angry about it. I made a great call, but just got unlucky. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eric, I am just catching up on my blog reading. By the way in order to get me to watch Star Wars you will have to tie me down and tape my eyes open. But, don't use duct tape I imagine that would pluck all my eyebrows off and then some.

Eric Rhodes said...

why wouldn't you watch one of the most popular movies of all time? Everyone that has seen it has loved it. At least as far as I know. Why deprive yourself?

Anonymous said...

I hate most creature movies with aliens and that stuff. ET was good.