Monday, August 29, 2005

The Famine in Nigier......

No, I'm really not going to write about the famine in Nigier. I spoke with my college buddy Greg and his wife Ann, who suggested that my next blog topic be 'The Famine in Nigier.' I know absolutely nothing about the famine in Nigier. I can imagine that it is pretty bad though. Famine is terrible. This weekend we did watch parts of "Tears of the Sun" staring Bruce Willis and Monica Bellucci which is about the civil war in Sierra Leone. Terrible stuff. Some of the things that happen over there are truly terrible. I won't go into it because the movie is pretty good, but I know that Jessica works with several nurses and nurse aids that came over from Africa to escape the wars over there. One of them said that there is no way she'd ever go back. It really makes you thankful for what we have as American citizens. Sure things are bad here sometimes, but at least we don't have soldiers killing all of the men and children and raping the women before killing them. Sorry. I don't mean to get so heavy this early in the morning. I'm not one to get all political with my blog....

A good little article on ESPN.com about games to watch this year. Ohio State is in three of them: vs Texas, vs. Iowa, and at M*ch*g*n. I'm sure that all three games will be great and I feel that the Big Ten title (and a trip to the Rose Bowl to face USC, probably) will come down to the Game in Ann Arbor. We need to first set the OSU sights on Miami (OH). The Red Raiders won the Eastern MAC conference last year and that is no small feat any more. Plus they have gone to bowl games for the past few years. Looking at their schedule, Ohio State is definately their huge game of the year. They will have big MAC games and will probably go to another bowl game, but Ohio State is the biggest school on the list. I'm just hoping that the Buckeyes don't overlook the Red Raiders. With Texas around the corner, it could be easy to forget that Miami is a good team too.

No comments: