Monday, August 08, 2005

Garage Sale, Firefly, and Harry Potter

Well, I experienced my first garage sale this weekend. Not going to one, having one. I basically put out all of the crap that we didn't want hoping that people would buy it. I guess it was OK. We sold a few things and got $40 bucks out of the process. The rest of the stuff, we gave to charity. A lot of people stopped and looked around (our neighborhood has an annual garage sale day and it was this Saturday)but we only sold a few things. It makes you feel a little weird when people think your stuff is too crappy to become their stuff. The weirdest sale was an Asia couple buying 5 forks and 5 spoons for $2. They didn't want the whole set for $10. They only needed the forks and spoons. Strange. Noah made out ok too. He sold a pedal car (you sit in it and pedal) and some other crap to kids on the street. I still have two dressers and a couch to get rid of, but Volunteers of America will come pick them up. We won't have enough room for a big couch in our basement, so we are going to buy a foton or something like that instead.

I started watching Firefly episodes on Sunday. Amy let me borrow her DVDs. I liked some episodes a lot, but there have been a few that I found a little hokey. I am through the first two disks. The last episode I saw was about Jayne being a hero. That one bothered me because it put a crack in Jayne's bad ass image. I have to say that I really like Mal. He says some funny shit, like, "If someone tries to kill you, you kill them right back." Or something like that. It's good to see that Joss still has his gift of casting hot women and writing good one liners. I still have a lot of episodes to go, and maybe I need to see more episodes before saying this, but I really wanted Mal to let River and the doctor (Simon? I'm bad with names) burn at the stake. The whole mystery of River hasn't made me care enough about her yet. Maybe in future episodes when I find out more. All in all, I am glad that I get a chance to see this show and will probably go to the movie when it comes out. A stupid question though, when hey sound like they are speaking another language, they are cursing, right? I'm a bit slow about these things.

I have only about 100 pages before I am done with the latest Harry Potter book. So far, I like Order of the Phoenix better. There isn't as much action in the Half Blood Prince. However, there is a lot of information and questions answered so far. All in all a good book so far. I read that the last hundred pages are impossible to put down, so I am planning on starting them early tonight so that I can get it finished. It's pretty good stuff. I won't spoil anything for anyone, but I will say that there is Quiddich, and Harry still doesn't get along with Malfoy. Sorry if that ruins anything for anyone. I just needed to let a few shockers come out......

How many fingers am I holding up today?.........

2 comments:

Mona said...

I tried reading all the Harry Potters, but it just didn't work out. I read the first one, got through about a quarter of the second book and stopped. My friend, TJ, said that the second book is a bit slow and that I should just get through it and move on, but I never did.

Eric Rhodes said...

The first two Harry Potter books are more geared to kids, but after that, the series really takes off. Especially the last two books. Very good.