Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thieves Beware

I went ahead and ordered a security system yesterday. It is somthing that Jessica and I had talked about before. True, we move to a beter neighborhood a while ago, but it seems to me that robbers are more likely to rob people in better neighborhoods due to the probability of better things to steal. Also, we used to sleep on the first floor, so I was more likely to hear something in the middle of the night, but now we are on the second floor. There are also times that I am out late and a security system gives me the peace of mind knowing that Jessica and the kids have an extral layer of protection while I'm out. There are also times that I hear noises (probably just car doors opening outside) in the middle of the night and I get paranoid. I have an active imagination at times.

The good thing about getting a security system is that I already have one, but it's never been activated. Apparently, MI homes puts in Brinks security systems in all of their new builds. We have an MI home. The previous owners just never had the service activated. The reason it is good for me is that we get the premium system without paying the installation. Plus, since we are a new activation, we get some free stuff too. I could have gotten motion sensors, but it seems to me that dogs (and people waking up in the morning) would set off the system. So, I got a glass breaking sensor for the back windows. Basically, it picks up the sound of glass breaking in a fifteen foot area. If I had not gotten that, the alarm only goes off when a window or door opens. I need to ask them ifthe alarm is set to go off if the upstairs windows are opened. The control panel is nice because we have three buttons that individually call the police, ambulance, or fire department. Like panic buttons, I guess. Also, the smoke detectors call the fire department when they go off. That could be a problem if we burn dinner. When the weather is nice, we like to have the windows open while we sleep. Well, I really hope that the system is a complete waste of money.

6 comments:

Mona said...

Remember my parents had a security system at out house on Ramm road? I remember you guys having to be wary of it when you would TP the house. Although they eventually stopped using it, which was a good thing for me when I started to sneak out of the house. :)

Eric Rhodes said...

Yeah, I remember the security system at Ramm Rd. I don't remember ever having any issues with it. Of course, I never TPed you. It must have been Amy or Woody. Did it have motion sensors outside?

I think I will make the code a secret so that the kids are trapped inside. I remember my highschool days all too well.

Woody! said...

Look at you providing safety and security for your family! Sounds like you done good.

Eric Rhodes said...

I do what I can. Thee are just too many crazies out there these days.

Anonymous said...

When we move out of town Neal wants to get one. You would think that it should not be an issue in the country, but being isolated a little more and farther from the cops draws crazies in. I don't want the cost or the headache of false alarms. Let me know how often you get false alarms.

Eric Rhodes said...

no false alarms yet. It's only been a few days though. Really, you just need to remember when it's on and when it's off. there is usually a delay before the alarms go off, so you have time to enter the code if needed.