Sunday, March 18, 2007

300 was pretty good

Jessica and I went to see 300 this past Friday. I had high expecations for the film based on the good marketing job that movie folk did for the movie. The commercials showed several of the cool scenes, but not all of them. I had mentioned before that the basic story is 300 Spartans holding off thousands of Persian warriors. It was pretty neat. Basically, all of the Startans are bad ass soldiers that are trained in war as soon as they can walk. I won't go into the film too much, because I don't want to ruin anything and there really isn't too much to get into. It is like Braveheart in ways because of the epic battle scenes, but to be honest, there wasn't as much plot. There is enough for you to get behind the Spartans and hate the Persians. I was listening to a radio show this morning and their movie critic gave 300 a D (-on a A-F scale). I think that he was a bit harsh. True, no one will win best actor, but there are some cool effects and great battle scenes in this film. If you liked Sin City (a movie also based on a Frank Miller graphic novel) you will probably like 300. If you put any weight into critic's words, wait for the DVD or go to a dollar theatre. I will probably buy this movie when it comes out. there was enough cool stuff in it for me to get past it's short comings. Jessica said she liked it too. It is a very macho movie though. It made me want to go out and kill Persians. Not really, but it gets your adrenaline pumping a bit. I probably owe Jessica a chick flick now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What percentage of the movie was battle?

Eric Rhodes said...

donno, 40% maybe.

Woody! said...

I was supposed to see this with a friend this weekend but he bailed. Glad to hear it kicked ass. I'll try to catch it at some point.

Bryan said...

gretchen and i went and saw it last weekend. great movie, bad theater, but that's beside the point. effects where great, but your right the story was a little lacking.

Anyway, a different note, I'm back to blogging again ad actualy trying to make a go a making it a little more commercial. anyway, you can actually see what's going on in my life now. see ya, br