Monday, March 19, 2007

360 Weirdness

Is Weirdness a word? Well, I'm making it a word. As you may know, I like playing my Xbox 360 online. Well, a strange thing happened Saturday when I tried to login to Live and could not. It was telling me that my network could not be found. When I checked the settings, my network was on the list of networks it detected, but Live would not use it. I asked my brother-in-law, Toby, over to see if he could figure it out. After several hours of tinkering, he determined that someone else in my area bought a wireless router liked mine and the Xbox was having issues separating them. Toby tried to rename my server, but it did not work. We gave it up for a night, and I tried calling Xbox support Sunday. 40 minutes on the line later (after trying all of the things that Toby and I had already tried) I called Toby again and he came over a took my Xbox to his house to see if his network would work. No such luck. Since I had bought the replacement plan, I decided to get a new Xbox. Sure, I could have gotten a ethernet cable and hard wired to my router, but I didn't buy a wireless router and wireless connection for my Xbox to end up hard wiring my Xbox. Now, I have had issues with Best Buy in the past, but this time they were awesome. I told the service guy that I was no longer connecting wirelessly and he gave me a new Xbox. I had to take everything back (controller, cords, headset, etc.) but forgot the power box (a separate box that the power cord plugs into and then you plug the power source to the Xbox. probably a surge protector type thing). The service guy said that it was OK and traded out the new power box saying that they are all the same. Well, he was wrong. The new one had two prongs and the old one had three. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get a three prong plug into a two prong slot. So, I took the power box back and got the correct one. Toby then did some tweeking on my network and I am up and popping on Live again, which is good becauseI went out and bought Crack Down. The game in itself is not why I bought it. I bought Crack Down because it gives me access to a Halo 3 online Beta test. (Online, which is why I needed to get Live working again.) I just need to download the demo and then I can play it though the Crack Down game menu. I can't wait to see all of the new toys that the Master Chief gets to play with.

2 comments:

Woody! said...

That's so weird. I think this might be why, while I love wireless, I don't trust it. The fickleness you described could probably be solved if you could just hardwire it when there's issues like that.

Eric Rhodes said...

I know. If I didn't have the replacement plan, I would have gone right out to get an ethernet cable. The only thing is, the modem is in the basement and the Xbox is upstairs. I'd have to run it through a hole in the floor. Possible, but not exactly something I want to have to do. If I have wireless issues in the future, I will definately get an ethernet cable.