Thursday, March 29, 2007

People Need to Remember HD TV is Out There.

I have mentioned before that I have a HD plasma TV now. It is pretty cool for gaming, DVDs and general television watching. One draw back is that some networks don't broadcast in HD, so the picture can look a little pixilated. Thankfully, the networks all have HD channels now and ESPN is in HD. In most cases HD is great. Crystal clear pictures can be a good thing for sporting events (you can see better than the referees sometimes) and other shows, but there are a few cases where HD may not be the best choice. For example, Desparate Housewives. Yes, I know I am girly for watching the show. I've accepted it, so should you. Anyway, on normal TV, Terry Hatcher is HOT. In HD, not so much. She is definately an attractive woman, but she has some unfortunate lines and wrinkles on her face that HD brings right into focus. I don't mean to pick on Terry, but there was a list I heard on the radio about actors that should not be in HD and she was #1 on the list. Example 2, BSG, aka BEST SHOW EVER! HD really makes the effects pop and is great for the show in general, but Edward James Almos is NOT an attractive man. In analog TV he is not attractive, but in HD, he is NOT attractive. Still, a great actor and a great show, don't get me wrong. The final example is beauty pagents. Before you get on my case about watching beauty pagents, it is NOT an normal thing for me. I generally do NOT watch them. I think they are silly. Sure, there are pretty girls walking around in next to nothing, but there are many other things that can occupy my TV time. Friday was an exception since there was nothing on that Jessica and I agreed on and she sometimes likes pagents. Mostly she makes fun of the super skinny girls. Anyway, it was the Miss USA Pagent. The girls were all pretty and HD really showed off their physique, but some of them had unfortunate marks here and there that jumped right out in HD. One had three very big, very black moles on her tummy, one had weird face lines when she smiled, and, probably the biggest thing to consider when wearing a bikini in HD is that viewers could definately tell which of the girls were, um, I guess 'well groomed down there' would be the best way to describe it. You would expect T.H.O.s perhaps, but you would think that they would attend to too-tight bottoms to avoid unfortunate climbing of the bottoms into unfortunate places. It was funny too, because one to the pagent directors told the girls that, "if they get a wedgie, don't pick it out." Well, camel toe is a bit more extreme that wedgies, I would think. Another thing is that these girls tended to get higher points than the others. Anyway, I would think that something like that would need to be pixilated in the future. Sure the girl parts are covered, but there was not too much left to the imagination. Another funny thing is that, at first, when they announced the finalists, they would show them at an angle that made the tightness of their bikini bottoms VERY apparent. After a few girls were shown in this manner, the director must have noticed the extreme details because the camera was raised to an above-the crotch angle. I doubt that this has ever been an issue in the past, but due to the current female grooming tendancies and the popularity of HD TV, some changes may be made. Honestly, I could care less, but I'm sure that there are some up-tight right wing religious fenatics that will have issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will be a while before we get HD, but my dad has it. It is great for nature shows. I saw about 15 minutes of the pageant and did not see what you did. I am glad for that. A long time ago I heard of some TV people not liking HD for the reason you stated far as showing everyday flaws that we all have.