Thursday, December 22, 2005

So, I fanally saw Serenity. Twice.

***spoiler alert***

I went out to buy the Serenety DVD yesterday. I was upset that I did not catch it in the theaters, but I guess I waited too long. I made up for missing Serenity in the theaters by watching it twice yesterday. Once right when I got home and the second time after Jessica got home so that she could see it. The movie did not start out quite how I expected it. I guess I didn't really have an idea of how it would start, since it would have to be geared towards people that have seen Firefly as well as those that have not seen Firefly. I guess that Joss did a good job setting up the story for those who have seen the TV show and for those who have not. The original Browncoats get some background to River and Simon's past and the newbies can see why River is so messed up. All in all I really liked this movie. The story was good, the acting was good, and the effects were incredible. I could go to a three hour movie filled with nothing other than sci-fi space battles and be thrilled. I just loves my CGI. Serenity also had the perfect mix of story, comedy, action, and sexual tension that are Joss' trademarks. I was also glad that all of the TV show's original cast was able to make it into the film. I didn't think Shepherd Book would be in it since I did not see him in the trailers, but I was wrong. I guess the part he had was rather small, but he was in it. Honestly, I never much likes Book too much. I think that if they Joss had the time on the TV series to go into why he knew sow much about the Alliance and had high military clearance, the character would have been much interesting. Oh well, he's dead now. The villan of the movie was good. No, not as in good. I mean that he was a good villian. The one thing that made me a bit angry was that Wash was killed in the end. I really like his character. In fact, I think he my favorite. I made this determination during the Firefly TV movie type thing. Mal, Jayne, a Zoe were out in space salvaging good from another vessel and Wash was playing with plastic dinosaurs. "Damn your inevitable betrayal!" Funny. He also had great lines in the movie. I think the best line in the movie was from Kaylee. She was talking about Simon and River leaving the ship and she was mad because she and Simon had not had sex yet and she said something like, "I ain't had nothing twix my neathers for the last year that hasn't been run on batteries." I may not be exact on that quote, but you get the idea. Mal had some great one liners too. And Jayne. I won't quote them all, so just go watch the movie. There is certainly room for a sequal to this movie. The ship was rebuilt and repainted and I'm sure that there is more Serenity plot inside of Joss' head. The only question will be whether or not he will get the funding. My guess is that he will, but probably not as big of a budget. We're probably going to get a made for TV movie or a straight to DVD release. That's fine by me just so lone as the story continues. I just hope that any future movies are not centered around River being a bad ass killing machine. The way she took care of the Reevers was quite Buffy-like. Especially at the end of the fight when they show her standing over the dead Reevers with the two axes.

As a side note, I looked for BSG 2.0, which was also supposed to be out this Tuesday, but did not see it at Target or Best Buy. Was the release pushed back? I'm wondering if maybe it was just sold out already. That show realy kicks ass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Serenity! Hopefully the DVD sales of the movie will push someone into giving Joss some more money, but he said if the series is dead he's ok with that. Wash's death took me completely by surprise too, and I sat with my mouth hanging open for a good 5 minutes afterward.

BSG 2.0 is indeed out, because Johnny bought it on Tuesday. Maybe they have already sold out?

Woody! said...

Glad you got to see it and even happier you enjoyed it. Wash's death threw me off, too. I figured everyone was gonna die then so I think it accomplished Joss's goal.

Sorry I haven't been on here much lately. The place I've been working doesn't leave me much flexibility for going online. I heard what you were saying the other day about getting disappointed when comment counts go down. I had the same feeling when I put a lot of work into one post and it got nothing. Especially considering how little time I could actually spend online for most of the week. Just keep plugging away, paco.

Merry Christmas!