Saturday, December 17, 2005

I hate kickers

No, not field goal kickers or soccer players. I'm talking about the card in poker known as the kicker card. For example, if two players both have a pair of tens, the tie breaker goes to whomever has the highest card in their hand. A pair of tens with an ace beats a pair of tens with a jack. Get it? Well, as you may or may not know, I played in a poker game last night. I started out slowly, but picked up some momentum and some chips when I took my buddy Rick out. He went all in on me to try to scare me out of a pot (which almost worked). I called him and won. I love having bragging rights. Anyway, I made it to the final table and down to the final seven players when I got my ass handed to me. I had jack ten, two tens come up on the board giving me three tens, so I went all in. The guy that called me had a ten and an ace in his hand. The ace beat the jack and I was out. I can't beat myself up about it though. I played the hand correctly. I thought the guy had two pair, but had no idea that he might have another ten. Why would I? The odds of it happening are lower than low. Then the odds that he could beat my jack kicker were even lower. Oh well. I lasted longer than all of my bowling buddies, so, like I said, bragging rights.

No comments: