Monday, December 19, 2005

Go Buck!....Basketball???

As you all know, I am a huge OSU football fan. I am also a closet OSU basketball fan. I say closet fan because, since the final four run they had a while back with Scoonie Penn and Michael Redd, the basketball Bucks have been pretty bad. They weren't terrible, but certainly not a contender. I still watched a game here and there, and I was clapping in my living room when they knocked off #1 and undefeated Illinois last year, but hoops didn't get me up as much as the gridiron games. The Basketball Bucks are 7-0 and ranked for the first time that I can remember for a while. I have seen a few games and they look pretty good. Their outside shooting is dynamite. They also have Terrence Dials, who is pretty good in the middle. So far, several of the Buckeye wins have come over lesser opponents at home, but they have had two quality road wins at Iowa State and St Joseph's (or maybe St John's. I forget for sure). The best part about this season is that it's only going to get better next year. Thanks to the NBA starting to restrict the age of players joining the league, OSU is going to get the #1 recruit, Oden (I think that's his name), who would have been a high NBA draft pick if the age restriction hasn't been enforced. We will finally have a basketball program that will rival our football program. I know it's rare for a fotball school to have a good basketball program too, but it's becoming more common lately. Michigan State has always had a good b-ball program and they are a pretty good football school, but they are in the minority, it seems. Texas is in the top ten of the hoops world and are playing for the fooseball title this year, so there is another school with good programs in both sports. The dream is that both the Basketball and Football Buckeyes will both take national titles next year. I can dream, right? Actually, it is plausable. The b-ball team is getting great recruits and have a solid coach and the football Bucks should have a dynamite offense next year. Hopefully the defense will be able to step up after losing the entire lineback corps. Well, I can hope, right?

No comments: