Saturday, February 14, 2009

BSG Revelations and the Dollhouse

So, last night's BSG episode was pretty informative. We learned a lot about the Cylons and their origins. It turns out Tigh's wife, Ellen, is also a Cylon, which we learned last week. The most interesting thing to me is that Cavil, or a Cavil model, knew all of the final five Cylons. When Ellen resurrected, a Cavil was there with a centurion in a room that looked like a cell. It is my guess that only one Cavil was designated to know the truth about the final five in case one of them died and they resurrected. Kind of like a caretaker. Otherwise, it would have implied that all of the Cavils knew who the final five were and still allowed Saul to be tortured and still fracked Ellen while watching the other five lead the resistance. I have to believe that only one Cavil knew of the final five's identities, or the show would lose a bit of credibility for me. I guess it is not unreasonable that all of the Cavils knew who the five were, because he was quite vocal about the others not learning their identities, but again, if Cavil knew that Ellen and Saul were Cylons, his actions on New Caprica would not make much sense.

We also learned that, apparently, the final five were the first five in the Cylon family tree. They created models one through seven. This being the case, if Cavil knew about Ellen, it would be like he was fracking his mom. Iew. Anyway, we learned a lot about the 'skin jobs' last night. It was not an exciting episode, but it was informative.

I also watched Dollhouse last night. I am undecided about my feelings towards Joss' latest attempt at a TV show. I LOVED Buffy, Angel, and Firefly, so I think my expectations about Dollhouse may be a bit high. The show has an interesting concept. People enter the program, get their minds wiped clean of all but the most basic memories and thoughts, and basically become puppets that can have any memories and skill sets downloaded into them. At first, I thought it would be some government project, like creating super spies, but it is more like a high tech whore house. If you want a hot woman for the weekend that has all of your likes, dislikes, sexual preferences, and is basically your ideal, you can rent one. If you need someone that can kick ass and be the perfect bodyguard for a specific situation, you can rent one. Anyway, the pilot was entertaining and interesting, but I am not sure how long Dollhouse will last. Joss' main problem is that he pushed the boundaries of TV and doesn't just make different versions of CSI. So the typical TV watching American sheep don't seem to get him. I do though and I hope Dollhouse stays around for a while.

No comments: