Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My Tech "Support" Nightmare

So, you all know I play my Xbox online. A LOT. Probably too much, actually, but I think I am an addict. Anyway, to do this, I have a wireless router. Or, I HAD one. When playing Halo 3 online, I would get an error message saying that my NAT was moderate and I would have problems finding matches. Also, I was having trouble connecting to one of my friends online because our networks were incompatable. Well, I started looking at my wireless network on my Xbox, then on my computer, but I couldn't find a way to change my NAT to open. So, I called Time Warner. They said it was probably a router issue and that I should call Linksys. I did. And the nightmare begins. Now, I am a very patient man. I see no need to get pissed off at people trying to do their jobs, even if they are doing it badly. I almost lost it with Linksys. After the tech told me to try a few things, he told me to download an update that would fix my problem. I did so, opened the program and was told to disconnect my modem. Instead of disconnecting it from my router, I unplugged the power to my modem. I have cable phone, which is through the modem. I lost my tech guy. I called back because now I had NO internet connection. After more time on the phone with a different person, she tells me she thinks that my router is defective and there is nothing else she can do. HELLO!!! IT WAS WORKING CLOSE TO FINE BEFORE I CALLED YOU HUMPS!!!!! All three computers were connected, I was just having some Xbox issues. I was given an apology and a new customer service number to call. Probably the complaint department. Rather than fucking with them, I just went out to get a new hard line router. No more of this wireless bullshit for me. Alas, still no internet connection. Since this was an issues I was starting o have without the router, I called Time Warner again. Not once. Not twice, but THRICE!!! They were all helpful, but the first two didn't sem to know what they were doing. I got all the same advice I would get from my tech people at Nationwide: "Turn it off and on again. See if that helps." The third techie, a cute sounding female named Heather (yes, I remember you name when you get me access to the internet for my Xbox addiction) told me that the Linksys humps hooked me up with a static IP address and it was screwing everything up. So, I bet my old router is fine. Still, after buying a new router, running all of the cable, and drilling a hole in my floor for my Xbox cable, I am NOT going to try to bother with the old router. No thanks!

No comments: