Saturday, November 03, 2007

Movies I've Seen Lately

As you know, I have NetFlix. I love this service. I get at least six DVDs per week for less than $20 per month. Sure, I don't always get my first picks, but when I ask for movies that are just out it can take a while. Anyway, I get alot of TV shows that I watch and return, but when I get a movie I usually burn it a watch it at my leisure. Well, movies have been piling up. The beauty of NetFlix is, I get movies I don't really want to buy, but renting them is fine. Anyway.... :

- The Reaping - This is a movie starring Hillary Swank as a religious miracle debunkafier. Kinda like Skully from the X-files, but not with the FBI. She investigates a town that is suffering the 10 plagues that hit Egypt (frogs, locusts, rivers running with blood, etc.). It is a pretty good story, but it jumped around alot and was hard to follow at times. There were alot of twists and turns. I give it 3 of 5 stars.

- Hostel part 2 - The story of a Slyvakian hostel that lures tourists in order to sell them to killers continues. If you saw Hostel, you know the story. This movie wasn't as gorey as the first and I think the story was better in this one. 4 of 5 stars.

- The Gridiron Gang - A bad boy's version of Remember the Titans. Only The Rock plays Denzel's part and the interracial highschool football team is a group of juvie inmate gang members. The concept is the same: They have to become a team to win football games. Pretty good. Not as good as Remember the Titans. Let's face it, The Rock is no Denzel. Similar ending to a done to death story. Pretty good though. 3 of 5 stars.

- Million Dollar Baby - Another Hillary Swank film. Rocky goes chick-style. A female boxer comes out of no where to become a contender. It was actually a pretty good movie. Sad ending though. It also has Clint Eastwood as an actor and the director. He always seems to like those sad ending movies. My guess is he misses his 45 from the Dirty Harry days. 4 of 5 stars.

- Smokin' Aces - The only two things about this movie were a few good action sceens and Ben Afleck looking like a main character in the beginning, but getting killed in the first half hour. I almost turned it off, but the action sceens kept me in it. There was a twist at the end that I am sure the writer thought was creative, but it really just made me hate the movie even more. One star for the action and one star for Ben Afleck getting smoked. That's two of 5 for you non-math folks.

- 30 Days of Night - I had to go to the theaters for this one. It is a vampire movie set in a town in Alaska that has thirty days of darkness once a year. It was pretty freaky. The vampires were not like Ann Rice vampires that would wine and dine you before killing you. They were fast and brutal. There were A LOT of scares in this film. It was pretty gross at times too. I enjoyed it, but didn't like the ending. It was pretty lame. 4 of 5 stars because of the weak ending.

- Transformers - I saw this in the theater way back when, but I got the DVD too. It is really an excellent movie. Fun to watch. 5 of 5.

- Ocean's Twelve - BORING - 1 of 5 stars.

In my queue:

Night Watch - a Russian film about people with superpowers. Looked interesting.
Knocked Up - Saw it in the theater. Funny and it has hottie Katherine Heigl
1408 - Looks scary
Zodiac - about the Zodiac Killer
The Warriors - 70's cult classic movie. It's kinda corny, but a fun movie to watch.
American Psycho - NetFlix says I'll like this one
Donnie Darko - (see above)

Any other movies I need to watch? How about TV shows?

1 comment:

Woody! said...

I'd say Oceans 13. Yes, 12 was lame but 13 got the spark back.

As for TV shows, I'd suggest Venture Brothers. Two seasons are on DVD now and the third and fourth will be forethcoming at some point in the not-too-distant from Cartoon Network.