Friday, February 02, 2007

Goin' Back to Cali

It isn't going to be until July, but Jessica and I are taking the kids to California. I have been there once before, when I went to the Rose Bowl with the OSU Marching Band, but Jessica was actually born in California. That's right, I landed me a California girl. Anyway, Jessica has a lot of family in California still, so we are going for a visit. Her Grandma (whom she doesn't speak with) and some aunts, uncles and cousins all liveout west. On her dad's side, I believe. Well, we are going to try to pack in a whole lot of family fun and visiting of relatives. To kick things off, Jessica's cousin is getting married some time or other. That is going to be the major family commitment. Jessica's cousin, Christie, lives out there as well, and Jessica wants to spend some time with her family. I think the plan is to go to Lego Land with them, which should be fun. I'm a bit scared about going to an amusement park made completely out of Legos. It is a bit expensive, but we are probably only going to have the one chance to go. We are also planning on going to Walt Disney Land/World (whichever). We have our flight booked and hotel reservations (5 nights near cousin Christie) and one night at Disney. Basically, it is going to be out whole tax return and will probably also result in maxing out the Discover card. Seeing as how we've never had a real vacation as a family, I guess it will be worth it. I know Jessica is excited. I am just not looking forward to the whole family deal. There's nothing quite like being scrutinized by family members that you have never met before. Hopfully there will be an open bar. I'm really not one for family gatherings. Nervous about meeting new people I guess. Oh, and we are going to try to go to the beach for a day. It should be fun with the kids. I worry about driving over there too. We will have several hour-plus long drives to get to all of the places we are going. I know how to drive in Columbus, but I hear that LA traffic is CRAZY. I will be getting the insurance on the rental. The plane trips should be fun (not) with three kids in tow. I just hope that Gabe and Alydia will be able to sleep and won't freak out on the ride. They are both good in the car, so hopfully they will be OK in the air too.

The hotel that we are staying in for most of the week has two bed rooms and a pull out sofa. There's no way that I would want to sleep in the same room as all three kids. I'm sure it would result in little sleep and less sex. Say what you will, but if I am on vacation, there had better be sex. We bought a DVD camera so that we can take movies and lots of pictures of the kids. I hope that we run into some of the Disney characters so that we can get pictures of the kids with them. I will be sure to post them, of course. I know, it won't be until July, but I really didn't have anything else to post about.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I am excited for you. I never have been past Wyoming. Which by the way I just love. Anyhow, you can always use your kids as an excuse to get away from the in-laws and to not have to talk to them. I use Emma that way all the time. I busy myself with watching her instead of hanging out with them. Jessica will be busy with her family so you can watch the kids for her. Then she can later thank you for it ;)

Eric Rhodes said...

What do you mean by 'thank you for it'?

Anonymous said...

;) I think you know what I mean.

Eric Rhodes said...

Actually Amy, I think that, from how she discribes her family members, Jessica may not thank me if I take the kids off of her hands. She may want them as an excuse to get away from her family. Some of them at least. And, did you not notice that we made sure to have a separate room from the kids? I will be 'thanked' well enough on vacation.

Sorry to everyone that is grossed out by the thought of me being 'thanked'. I blame Amy for bringing up the adult content.

Anonymous said...

What I was thinking something like buying you a movie or making your favorite snack. You sicko