Thursday, January 18, 2007

American Idol: The Show I Hate to Love

It's that time of year again. Time for American Idol to polute our TV sets. I wish I could say that I am one of the few American's that tunes to something else when Idol is on, but I'm not. I held out for the first few seasons, refusing to jump on the band wagon, but I finally caved a few years ago. I think it was the 'She Bang's" guy (William Hong, I think). I love the first few weeks for the absolutely terrible singers that are hilarious to watch. Plus, I hate to admit that I really like Simon's razor tongue. Not in some homo-erotic sort of way, I think he's brutally funny. I have to say, so far this season, I am not really thrilled with the show. There have been a fair share of people that think they can sing, but really can't, and they always get angry when they don't make it through. I think that the problem is the severe lack of good singers this year. Usually, there are some good singers that catch my eye early. Not yet. At least Jewel was on the first episode for some eye candy. She's is a very attractive woman. Really, I think that the problem so far is the focus the editors are putting on the criers. This is for two reasons: 1. there are SO many criers this year that it is getting old and I stop caring. 2. How can these people put so much hope into their poor talent that they actually bawl their eyes out on TV when they get cut? It's not like they go to Hollywood, get their hopes elevated, and they get cut. You don't have the talent, the looks, or the personality to be a pop singer superstar....get over yourself. At least you got on TV.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

missed the first year and then I gave it up last year. It is very entertaining I must admit. I think they are cruel to put some of those people through to the tv auditions. It is really their second auditions. The crew knows they suck, but still put them on for a good laugh. Which is kinda mean, but if they think that are so great then they derives getting laughed at. Come on I can sign better than a couple of them and I know I would have to be mental to even try out for the show. I gave it up because it took too much time to watch it twice a week. I got so sick of how they drag it out and all the commercials. I like Simon. He tells you how it is without sugar coating it. I always agree with him. He is big in the business and it just cracks me up when people say he does not know what he is talking about. Hello he did not get rich by being dumb. Oh well enjoy the season. I might tune in for the last few weeks. Oh I did not like Taylor Hicks by the way. Josh Gracin was their best. Kelly must not be too bad also because she is making the bucks.

Eric Rhodes said...

Yeah, they definately put in a lot of bad people just to get teh laughs. I may not watch the whole season for the commercial reason too. That, and if there was any good contestants, they should have been on the show over the past few years. You'd think they'd be running out of contestants. Seriously good ones at least. I also agree with you that Taylor hicks was not the best last year. I kinda like Chris Daughtrey though. Really, I hate myself for knowing these names.

Woody! said...

I watched an episode once. Worst decision I made that month.

Anonymous said...

I used to watch it several seasons ago because my roommate at the time was really into it. I don't mind it, but what get's me (and this goes for all reality TV shows, too) is how they drag it out so damn much. It irritates the crap outta me, so I gave up on watching it.