Saturday, January 03, 2009

Anyone remember Buck Rogers?

I got off of my NetFlix system and haven't had any DVDs to watch lately. I have been getting movies that I know Jessica wants to see, so I haven't been able to watch a disk and send it back the same day. Plus, the holidays put a kink into the Post Office deliveries, so not as many movies coming in. So, I have been watching the 'B' movies and shows that NetFlix has available online. I went through Jericho, which was great, and now I am watching Buck Roger in the 25th Century. If you don't know, Buck Rogers is a 1980s astronaut that gets frozen in space and then thawed 500 years later. I used to watch the show a lot as a kid, so I am pretty much refreshing my memory. It is great seeing the cheesey effects, the cheesey acting, and the rediculous 80's view on what futuristic clothing would look like. Basically, all the women wear lycra pants that are super tight and tops that show off boobs and bellies. They look like futuristic hookers. Fun stuff. It isn't a great show, but it is fun to watch.

I also got a DVD of Babylon 5 in the mail. I thought I would give it a try, since it went on for so many seasons. It must be good then right? I haven't decided yet. It made me wonder though. What is better? 80's special effects that are basically models and props, or newer CGI effects that that are obviously fake and a little rediculous looking? Babylon 5 is DEFINATELY not a product of George Lucas's crack team of animators. I think I am going to go with the retro look. Yes, it is cheesey and plastic looking, but at least it has a real look. The cartoony CGI stuff in Babylon 5 might actually throw my interest in the show.

No comments: