Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ever see one of those cartoon falls?

You know, when the cartoon character hits a patch of ice, flies up into the air, and then falls flat on his back? That was me yesterday. Taking Gabe out to the bus stop, I was dumb and forgot about the freezing rain we had all night. I hit the first step outside out front door and went down like a ton of bricks, flat on my back. Needless to say, I am sore today. Really sore.It could have been a lot worse though. The things that helped:

-There are only three steps to our front door, so it was a relatively short trip.

-My momentum was enough to carry me all the way down, so I didn't hit my back or my head on one of the concrete steps.

-My feet went straight out and I didn't have time to react, so both my arms and legs were out of the way. If I landed on one of my arms or if my legs were under me, I could have broken or sprained something. Sure my back hurts, but a blown knee or broker arm would have hurt more.

-Better me than one of the kids or Jessica.

All in all it could have been a lot worse. My back should feel better in a few days. Honestly, when I hit, I thought I was going to be laying there waiting for Gabe to call 911. It was more of a shock than anything. It was hard getting up because I would try to plant my foot and it would slip again. I mean, it was REALLY slippery. Golly, I really hope these pain killers kick in soon.

5 comments:

Eric Rhodes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric Rhodes said...

I kind of felt like one of Homer's patients when he was fixing people's spines on his trash can. I felt all sorts of popping and cracking. Instant spinal adjustment.

Herb said...

Don't feel bad, I've done that before, except I was walking down the street and ice on one of those curb cut, wheelchair accessible ramps was what did me in. You sit there for a moment in disbelief, then look around to see if you "got caught". The only quote that comes to mind is "Doh!"

Betsy said...

I almost did the same thing yesterday morning, but was lucky and didn't fall on that first step and walked on the grass instead. This winter already sucks.

goooooood girl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.