Friday, August 01, 2008

What's with the Hate?

I played cards last night, won some money, but heard something interesting. Someone at the table asked, "Have you seen the story on ESPN.com?" Well, I hadn't so I ask what he was talking about. Well, the story stated that, my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes are now the nation's most hated college football team. When did this happen? I guess some good natured hate comes with all of the winning seasons the Buckeyes have been having lately. A bit of jealousy much? Of course, it could be that people (like me) hate seeing the Buckeyes go to the National Championship game and losing two year in a row. I love seeing them go to the title game, HATE seeing them lose. A lot of people seem to think they have a good chance of going again this year. We'll see. Anyway, I know there are OSU haters, even here in Columbus, but when did we become the nation's most hated team? I guess it had to be someone. My guess is that people are tired of hating Notre Lame since they suck so bad lately, and I know not everyone can share my healthy hatred of M*ch*g*n, but I am a little suprised that OSU jumped into the throne of themost hated.

Another interesting story I heard this weekend was about all of the troubles Penn State has been having lately. Apparently JoePa has been having a rough time keeping his players in line. My understanding is that the kicker was talking smack at a party (or people were talking smack to him) and he started a fight. He got beat up a little, so he called the rest of the team and, to proove their team work skills, they kicked the crap out of some students. Then there is this: "According to an "Outside the Lines" report this week, since 2002, 46 Penn State football players had criminal charges filed against them and 27 either pleaded guilty or were convicted." True, all teams, including OSU, has off the field troubles, but damn.

29 day until kick off!!! GO BUCKS!!!

4 comments:

Betsy said...

Ahhh... hatred of the Buckeyes. Yes, I strongly dislike them myself. Of course I don't really enjoy any football team, but my argument has always been that Columbus is a one track mind. A buckeye mind. It would just be nice to live in a town with interests other than watching a small piece of piggy be thrown around. That's an art's nerd view for you, an art's nerd with no symphony or a decent museum to visit.

Eric Rhodes said...

OK. I can get why you would be frustrated with living in a city with a big football following rather than interest in the arts, but I imagine that is how most football towns are. Why is there a museum and symphony in Toledo? Because there is nothing else in Toledo. But your reeasons for disliking the Buckeyes can't be why they are the nation's most hated team.

Betsy said...

Yeah you're right! You know.... maybe this year is the year that I try to become a Buckeye liker. I should go find a good tailgate or something.

Annie Williams said...

GO BLUE!! LOL!!