Thursday, August 14, 2008

Anyone watching the Olympics?

The Olympics are a double edged sword for me. On one hand you have the hours of TV programming that is not airing because of this every-four-year sports fest. Nothing but reruns and bad reality TV. On the other hand, you get sports to watch all day. Of course, the sports themselves are another double edged sword. For example, while eating lunch today, we watched Olympics women's team sabre fencing with the USA going for the bronze medal. Seriously? Now, I am all for the thought and spirit behind the Olympics: Nations coming together in sports competitions rather than in war. However, do we really need to watch all of these 'B' competitions? I know I, personally, don't need to watch them, but do they really need to take up valuable air time? If people don't usually watch the sport all year round, why must we be subjected to them once every four years? Is there really an interest in sports like rowing, weight lifting, shooting, synconized diving, and so on? Ok, Ok, there are some Olympic sports that I enjoy. I actually tune into the Olympics when there is nothing on, hoping to catch something interesting. What I like:

USA Basketball - With the talent they have, if they do not win the gold medal, we should quit playing basketball and Lebron should personally pay each US citizen $20. He can afford it.

Phelps - I usually don't like watching swimming, but this guy is amazing. Going for eight gold medals? Are you serious???

Sand Volleyball - I prefer the women to the men, yes I am a perv, but the sport is fun to watch.

Women's gymnastics - I can't believe what these girls can do with their bodies. It amazes me. Not just in a perv way either. I can see Alydia getting into gymnastics. I would enjoy the men's gymnastics more, but they make me feel like a weakling. the arms on these guys are HUGE.

Soccer - I like soccer.

Well, that's my two cents on the Olympics. I like some of it, don't like other parts. Probably the most interesting thing has been the microscope that the Chinese people have been under. They have done some really crazy stuff. Forcing cab drivers to learn English, making female guides with 'unshapely' legs wear dark stockings, and having a 'pretty' little girl lip sync to another 'unappealing' looking girl's singing on live TV..... Craziness.

No comments: