Monday, August 25, 2008

Magic: The Gathering - An Old Addiction

Back in highschool, I was addicted to comic books. I would go with Woody and Moe in the Woodmobile to JC's Comic Stop or the crappy discount comic book place behind JC's and blow all of my hard earned money on my weekly fix of comics. That is what we did. Good times were had by all. As I entered my college years, I started running out of money and cut back on comics. I started working at Friendly's to help fund my lifestyle. I met a guy named Brandon, who turned me on to Magic: The Gathering. I thought comics tore through my money.......DAMN.

If you don't know, Magic is a collectable card game. You buy cards, make decks, and play games against other people. The concept is that you are a wizard and the cards are your spells. You use your spells to conjure creatures and other things to defeat your opponent. To win, you have to get his/her life count from 20 to 0. The kicker is that you have to buy cards to play with. The more cards you have, the more spells you have access to. I bought cards buy the boat load. The makers of Magic, The Gathering really know how to milk it too. Every couple of months to a year, they would release a new generation of cards. The newer cards were more powerful or had different abilities that the older cards could not combat. So, you needed to buy new cards to stay current and competative. I have thousands of cards. Literally. I was starting to look at them as an investment. However, like with every other collectable that is currently hot, the makers flooded the market. Now, they may be worth a little but, but nothing nearly as much as I thought they would be. Oh well.

Anyway, I got all of my cards out over the weekend and went through them. It took a while to go through them all, believe me. I thought about making some decks to play with, but I don't really have anyone to play with anymore. It's not like Magic is the hot game that it used to be. I could probably find some people to play with if I tried, but I would have to reload with newer cards and catch up on all of the new tricks. It could get costly. I guess I could start trading in some of the old stuff, but I would need to research and do procing and a whole lot of work. I should just put them, and all my old comics, on Ebay. More work.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, you could hold onto your cards and teach the kids to play. In that case, there's no worrying about buying anything new because you have a defined scope to play within and you get the added bonus of some quality time with the kids! It's twofor!

Betsy said...

Ummm.... yeah...... but then your kids are guaranteed to be nerds. Ha ha - just joking!!

Eric Rhodes said...

Says the girl that is mad that Columbus doesn't have a museum or symphony...... And what does that say about me? I'm a nerd? Who went to prom with me?

Woody! said...

Yah, I never got into the Magic and I'm glad I didn't due to the time and financial commitment. I was already tapped for most of the 1990s.

Annie Williams said...

SO, then I guess by my time, it was really tapped, because I truly don't remember it, at all!! I think my days was....and I didn't play, but I remember dungeons and dragons..( I am assuming the same concept tho...)