Saturday, August 16, 2008

mmmmmmmmm.....veggies

I'm sure Woody would disagree, but the best thing about summer is all of the great veggies I get out of my garden. It has been a pretty good growing season so far. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, zuchinni, cucumbers, green beans, and all sorts of herbs. YUM. I have commented on my gigantic tomatoe plants, but really the most producing plants have been, by far, my zuchinni plants. Last year I planted 4 and this year I planted three in order to reduce my crop. Well, no such luck. I have had SO many that I can't give them away fast enough. Next year I will plant two so that I have more room for green beans.

My favorite veggie is tomatoes. I have maybe six varieties this year. Yellow and red grape tomatoes, and then red, pink, yellow, and orange big tomatoes. YUM!! They are SO much better than anything you can find store bought. My dad starts them and then gives me the plants when they are about a foot tall. I am sure that is why they do so well. Plus, I fertilize and water and take care of them. This year has actually been a bad year for my tomatoe plants. Yes, they are tall, but I think they have a fungus or disease that is making them produce less. I still have had plenty of them for me and the family, with a few to share, but not nearly the amount I had last year.

This year was a first for me. I actually made some pickles and some salsa. The pickles are OK, but I think they needed a bit more dill. The salsa is GOO-OOD. It was really easy to make too. Basically, it was just chopping up tomatoes, peppers, and onions, then adding cilantro, lime juice, salt and garlic. I added one of my hot peppers too for some heat. The first batch, I used a red hot pepper and it about burned my mouth off. I made a second batch today with a green hot pepper (the more red, the hotter the pepper) and it is not nearly as hot. I also have had all sorts of terrific salads and dishes made with fresh yummy veggies. I am sad that the summer is almost over.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I agree.... veggies are the best! We just had fresh sweet corn with dinner, and it was yummy, yummy, yummy! I made lasagna a few nights ago, and put some of my deck tomatoes in it, and that was good too. Ohh... and I made zucchini bread last week too. I had to buy my zucchini, but the bread was still dang good!

Eric Rhodes said...

you should have come to the Rhodes garden market for your zucchini. I have TONS. Well, not so much since I have been giving it away, but I had a TON.