Friday, October 27, 2006

Bowling Fun and NCAA '07

Last night (every Thursday, actually) was my bowling night. I've been in a league for a few years now. The first year, I was pretty consistant with a 185 or 190 average. I was quite please with myself. Then, the bowling alley when I bowl changed their lane type. They had natural wood lanes, but switched to synthetic. What's the difference? Well, wood lanes traditionally allow the bowing ball to break, or 'hook' more. My average dropped about 20 pins immediately (170's). I just couldn't figure out the new lanes. My ball just wasn't reacting anymore. Well, I got a new ball a few years back and it helped a little. This year, I have been tearing things up a bit. I started with an average in the 180s, but now have it back up over 190. It was 192 as of last night and should go up again. Two weeks ago, I bowled a 606 series, last week I bowled a 590 series, and last night I bowled a 646 series. I bowled a 212, 213, and 221. I was pretty excited. The second game irritated me because I missed a few spares. 9 strikes and 3 open frames only gets you a 213. I just hope that I can keep this up.

I finished my first season of NCAA '07. I won't get into too many details, but OSU won the National Title. The Troy Smith character came in 5 in the Heisman voting. I need to work on that. I guess he did get hurt for one game and I needed Justin Zwick to step up. A few things that were weird about the NCAA '07 season, compared to the real football season:

1. Michigan was 6-3 after 9 games. Apparently, the 'experts' at EA Sports didn't think that UM would do much this year either.
2. OSU was knocked to #2 after a few games (I won them all) by LSU. LSU eventually lost though.
3. I put up 40+ points in several games, but that wasn't good enough to win the Heisman.
4. Notre Dame was my opponent in the Firsta Bowl.
5. Ted Ginn didn't break a punt return back for a TD. That may be because I don't know how to spin or 'juke' effectively, but as fast as the player was, it shouldn't have mattered.
6. OSU's defense is just as good on the Xbox as they are in real life. A few shut outs and many games allowing only one score.

1 comment:

Woody! said...

Don't feel too bad about the punt return. I really couldn't do them unless my team was a good deal better than the opponent.