Friday, July 14, 2006

Don't They Care?

As you may or may not know, I enjoy playing poker. Texas Hold'em is my game. I've been playing for a year or two and like to think that I am an OK player. I'd say that I win money about 50% of the times that I play. I started out playing in tournaments where all of the entry money goes into a prize pool and the winner of the game gets most of the money, depending on the pay-outs. You may get $2000 in chips for a $20 entry fee. When you lose your chips, you're out. If you watch poker on TV, you are watching a tournament. Lately, I have been playing in a cash game every once in a while. What a cash game means is that if you put in $20 as an entry fee, you get $20 in chips. If you lose your chips, you can buy more. I have played in this cash game three times now. Needless to say, I think I have the players figured out, but maybe not. I say that I think I have them figured out because, the first time I played with them I put in $73 and left with $138, the second time I played with them I put in $40 and left with $148, and last night I put in $20 and left with $200. This is why I am starting to think that I have gotten pretty OK at this poker thing. Doing the math shows that I am up about $350 on these people. I don't think that I am overly aggressive when I play or extremely lucky. If I get a hand, I play it. If I miss a hand, I can usually tell if I can bluff a person out of the hand or not. I also think my success is because the other players can't really figure me out. I have most of them pegged and know most of their tendancies. I ask 'Do they care?' because it just seems like they are ok with betting, losing, and buying back into the game. One of the guys lost all of his money and went to the ATM to get more. TWICE!!! Me, I took out $60 because that is what I'd be willing to lose. Thankfully, I did not need the whole $60. I guess it's good that they are willing to put in more money because the more they put in, the more I can win. I guess I just don't get the mind set of the poker player that is willing to keep throwing money into a game when they are constantly losing. It must be nice to be able to afford losing a ton of money playing cards. Actually, I think I am happy in the role of the person that collects.

No comments: