Thursday, May 31, 2007

I get why 'Enterprise' tanked

I have always liked Star Trek. I am not some crazy Klingon costume wearing freak that still lives in my parents' basement, but I enjoy all of the shows based on origional series. I like the old shows, even though the acting is kinda bad and the effects worse. I really liked TNG and the Star Trek galaxy really hit it's stride with Voyager and DS-9. The latest (last?) installment of the Star Trek saga was Enterprise. I really like the direction they initially took with this show, taking us back to the infancy days of Star Fleet and the first deep space exploration mission. Of course, the ship is called Enterprise. The first chink in the armor is that Scott Bakula was the captain. I really liked him in Quantum Leap, but would have rathered a no-name to fill the role. I feel that there are only a few actors that can play multi-characters on different shows. (I still don't get why Mal sold Serenity and is now in a road race on Old Earth.) Anyway, The best part of the cast was Jolene Blalock (HOTT!!). They seemed to play up her hottness by putting her in a tight-tight outfit and then creating scenarios to get her out of the outfit.

To the point, Enterprise never seemed to get the fan base that the other series created. I started watching when the show aired, but kinda lost interest. I think that something else was on at the same time and this was before the days of me having DVR. I started watching the show on Sci-Fi. They have been airing re-runs on Mondays and I have been recording them. It is certainly entertaining, but there are some flaws:

First, they are portraying Enterprise as a ship that isn't really ready for deep soace exploration. The ship and engines are solid, but the scanners, shields and weapons are far behind those of the hostiles they start running into. And yet, they keep getting out of scrape after scrape. Even if they are outnumbered and their enemy could wipe them out with one more shot, they survive.

Next, they focus on time travel too much. I think this bugged me because all of the Trek shows farther into the future never really focused on time travel too much. Yet Enterprise threw in a time travel episode almost every week, encluding an episode where the whole crew (and the ship) go back in time to WW II.

Third, the writers totally recycled stories. There is a series of episodes where Archer becomes possessed by a Vulcan spirit and discovers an artifact that will unite the Vulcan people again, much like when Worf found the sword of Kayless and untied the Klingons. And the possession is definately similar to Cysco becoming the B'Joran Emmisary.

Finally, the thing that bugs me the most is that the writers of Enterprise paint the Vulcans as shady, skeemers that are sometimes more emotional than the humans are. Vulcans are supposed to be all logical. I guess the current episodes that aired this week have to do with a group of Vulcans that are trying to change the government into a more pacifistic body. Whatever. To make a long story short, I think that they have just miked the Star Trek cash cow for all it's worth. There may be another movie here and there, but I dought that there will be any future TV series.

2 comments:

Woody! said...

Personally, I kinda liked the shady Vulcans. I also loved how the human race was this clumsy, stupid people plowing into space like a bull in a china shop and their moronic moves always got them in trouble.

There was not enough ass-kicking and making the hottest chick in the joint a Vulcan was so lame. And when they brought in the Ferenghi... weak. I was done after that.

Eric Rhodes said...

It denifately wasn't the best star Trek show. At least they wrote in all sorts of scenarios to get T'Pol undressed. Especially the de-tox gel. 'You picked up a bug on that planet. Quick! rub this K-Y gel all over your half nude body. I'll get your back!'