Monday, November 07, 2005

I want the Irish

Since it is apparent the Ohio State will not be playing for the National Title this year, I have been hashing it over in my head whom I would like to see the Buckeyes play in a Bowl Game. It comes down to three teams:

1. Notre Dame - I always love it when the Buckeyes get a chance to play the Irish. Back in the mid 90's, during my college hay day, OSU trounced Notre Dame in back to back years. I know that doesn't mean that the Bucks would beat them if they were to play this year, but I'd love the chance. True, Notre Dame almost beat #1 USC, but the Bucks almost beat #2 Texas. The programs are both huge and the meeting would be monumental.

2. Texas - Yes, I want a rematch. The Buckeye offense has been amped up and is moving the ball much better than when the Longhorns were in Columbus. I still think it was a travesty that the QBs were switched every other possession. The only thing I could see as a problem is that now the Texas offense seems to be rolling alot better now too.

3. Penn State - Another rematch issue. I'm prety sure that if the game was played at OSU, or even a neutral site, the Bucks would have won that game. The Penn State crown won that game for the Lions.

I honestly would be happy with any Bowl Game against a top ten team. I think that, with the Buckeye defense, which is awesome, and the much improved offense, the Bucks could roll with any team in the top ten. What I don't want is for the Buckeyes to matched up with an inferior opponent. I always like watching the Buckeyes, no matter who they play, but I would prefir a game with some meaning. Alas I am looking ahead. We still have two big games coming up this season.

This coming Saturday, Northwestern is rolling into town. The boys in purple and black are always a bit of an enigma this season. They are on more ups and downs than someone with a day pass to Cedar Point. They have a good offense that can roll up alot of points, but their defense is a bit lacking.

Next Saturday is the Big Game up in Ann Arbor. It never matters what the records are for the Buckeyes and Wolverines, it is always the game of the year. Both teams are always up for this game and the Wolverines love to spoil the season of the Scarlet and Gray. The rodents are on a bit of a low season this year, but I'm sure that they will put forth their best effort against the Silver Bullets. After all, the one loss that Penn State has came to them in Ann Arbor.

2 comments:

Woody! said...

Good list. You're right, the biggest profile match-up you can get is Notre Dame. As nice as those rematches might be, the Domers are the story of college football in 2005 and beating them to open 2006 would make a lot of people notice. Then again, you still gotta beat Charlie's boys.

Eric Rhodes said...

I know that the Buckeyes stil have two games to win (I'm assuming that Charlie's boys means Northwestern. Don't they call the coach Chuckie?). I'm getting ahead of myself, but I have faith that OSU can beat the Wildcats in the Shoe and then go up north and achieve a victory in the Big House. They will both be close though.