Friday, November 11, 2005

I love Thursdays

True, I have to work, but Thursday night is my night out to blow off steam. As you may know from previous posts, I have a bowling league on Thursdays. It's a mens league, which is cool because we can all get together and have a good time without worrying about any female judgement. It's not that we are out of control or anything like that. I would say that our inner boys come out for a good time. No, not those inner boys. Pervs. Yes, I like bowling. It is my thing. However there is a dark side to my one night of fun. My team has been getting it's ass handed to us all year. Each week is worth seven points. Two for each game and one the entire series (the three games added up). We have only been able to take three points in one week all year. Needless to say, this has cemented our place at the bottom of the league. We were excited about last night because we took the first game (first time this year). The thought of winning all seven points, or even five, crossed our minds. The team we bowled against were then possessed by PBA bowlers and all threw 200+ games. Needless to say, our asses were handed to us once again. We were able to win the third game, but the beating we took in game two was sufficient enough that we only took four points instead of five (they took the total series point). Well, at least the league is split into two halves. We can finish in last the fist half of the league and still come back and win the second half to get into the championship game. A bright side about last night is that I had a pretty good week of bowling. I started out with a 200 and then a 165 (not too great). At the beginning of the third game, I stated that I was going to roll a 235. Alas, I was unable to do so. I was off the mark by 2. Sure, 233 is still good, but I was still off. I'm trying to get myself up to a 190 average. Right now I'm at 184, but after my 598 series, I may go up a pin. After bowling, we sometimes go into the bar for a while or we head off to Roosters for some grub. Last night was a bar night. I can't believe how much beer we put down. Probably about six or seven pitchers. Not all by ourselves, of course. OK mostly by ourselves, but we had some help with the last few pitchers. I'm not sure what the final pitcher count was because, as I was leaving, my buddies were ordering another one. I don't think I'd have made it home if I had more beer. The bad thing is trying to wake up for work on Friday. Ugh! At least beer doesn't give me bad hangovers like whiskey does.

On a side note, Ohio State has a home game against Northwestern tomorrow. I can't believe that this is the last home game of the season. It always goes so fast. The best time in the sports year is college football season. They really need to extend the season another week or two. I would love a BCS playoff system using the top eight teams in the Nation. The losers of the first round could go to lesser Bowl games, the losers of the second round could go to a better bowl game, and the finalists would play for the title. It will probably never happen for some reason or other, but it would be nice to have the top teams all playing each other so that the cream would be able to rise to the top. Well, as long the Buckeyes win out and get a good bowl game, I will be happy. As for this weekend, I think that the Bucks' defense should shut down the Northwestern offense well enough so that the Buckeye offense will be able to get to work and win the home finale.

No comments: