Friday, September 16, 2005

Help!

Well, it's Friday. I have this weekend off, so I get to try to catch up on some sleep. I say try because it greatly depends on if Gabriel and Alydia let me. I really need to try to get the garage organized too. It'd be nice to park in the garage come winter time.

Bowling went well last night. It was the first wee of our new season. I usually bowl out of my mind on the first week and set an average that I can't possibly hope to keep. I think I had a 215 one year. I started off pretty well with a 193 and 198, but then tanked out with a 161. I can keep a 183 average. I need to get some new shoes. My current bowling shoes are starting to fall apart a bit. We won't know if we won any of the games last night because our handicaps haven't been figured out yet. What a handicap does is level the playing field a bit. It is based off of 90% of the difference between your average and 210 pins. For example, my average is 183, so you'd subtract 183 from 210 (27) and then take 90% of that number. So, my handicap is 24. You then add your handicap to the total pins you bowl each game. It is supposed to make things more competative so that a team that has a bunch of 130 bowlers can keep up with 190 bowlers. Make sense?

You may be wondering why I titled today's post as 'Help!' Well, today is Jessica's birthday and I have no idea what to get her. I thought about some earrings, but if I keep getting her jewelry, she will start expecting it. Any ideas? I think I may just take her out shopping or something. That way she can get what she wants. Unfortunately, she and I a both people that buy whatever we need or want whenever we get the chance. It makes it hard to give people gift ideas. I'll make her dinner and get her a card and flowers too. Is that enough? I already made her a cake. I just like going overboard sometimes, I guess.

2 comments:

Woody! said...

Well, too late now. Hope you came up with something good. If not, you ain't getting shit on your birthday next month.

I'm in the same boat myself. Kelley's b-day is next month. I should probably come up wit some brilliant idea before then. I've got some ideas... I wonder if I can pull them off.

Herb said...

For Carrie's birthday this year I was in the same boat. She didn't need anything.

So, instead I got creative, put together a book with pictures of the kids and wrote a campy story about the kids saving us from our day to day mundane life. It was a hit not only with her but the kids wanted to read it every night for the next month and now--6 months later we're reading it two or three times a month. In addition to the book I arranged for a night out on the town with hotel, dinner, and a concert (without kids and without telling her what I was planning).

If you're looking for big points for the next week or so...good cheese is the way to go.