Thursday, September 08, 2005

Biggest Game Ever?

An article in The Other Paper, a free Columbus news paper, is claiming that OSU vs Texas this Saturday in the 'Shoe is the most anticipated home game in Ohio state (recent) History. I added recent because they only looked at games since 1970. They used a formula (Novelty + National Importance + Players + Coaches + 'Bonus Buzz' = Total Score) to determine the top seven most anticipated games at Ohio Stadium played since 1970. Here are their findings:

1. #4 OSU vs #2 Texas 2005 First match up ever. Loads of National Title implications.
2. #4 OSU vs #3 Oklahoma 1977 OSU 28 Oklahoma 29 First meeting with the Sooners and a top 5 match up
3. #5 OSU vs #4 Michigan 1970 OSU 20 Michigan 9 First time both teams were undefeated
4. #5 OSU vs #6 Penn State 1978 OSU 0 Penn State 19 rare Penn State visit
5. #7 OSU vs #15 Notre Dame 1995 OSU 45 Notre Dame 26 First Irish visit in 60 years
6. #8 OSU vs #1 Iowa 1985 OSU 22 Iowa 13 Iowa was on route to win the National Title
7. #2 OSU vs #12 Michigan 2002 OSU 14 Michigan 9 OSU needed a win to go to Tempe and play for the Title

Personally, I have only witnessed two of these game that I can remember. I may have saw the 1985 game against Iowa, but do not specifically remember. I was only 11. As such, I would change the top games to include the 2002 game vs Michigan (needed a win to play for the title baby!) and the 1995 Notre Dame game. Since I was in school for the Irish game, and a member of the band, I would get way pumped for games like that. OSU vs Texas is getting huge hype. ESPN Game Day is going to be in town and there will be over 1000 reporters in town covering the game. In the past, the most has been 900. ESPN.com has stories all over about the game and ticket prices. I remember once, when Woody visited Bryan and I for the Michigan game, he brought $20 expecting to buy a ticket. Bryan and I laughed a bit and then pointed him to the Union and told him he could watch there. Five minutes into kickoff, there's Woody with a grin on his face. He paid $20 to get into a Michigan vs OSU game! Anyways, these tickets for the Texas game are selling for $2000 a pair. Back to the point. In my memory, this IS the most anticipated game in OSU stadium history. Notre Dame was big. Michigan is always big. But this is the first meeting between two huge football teams. It's not like Texas going to play against the Akron Zips who are just happy that more fans will come to the game to see Texas play. The attitude in Columbus isn't that the Buckeyes will play Texas this weekend, the attitude it that the Buckeyes are going to beat Texas this weekend. The difference between now and when Notre Dame came to town is that both teams have title hopes, both teams have great talent, and both teams have great histories.

Another article in the Other Paper is quoting a Texas sports writer that graduated from OSU. The article states that the sports writer said that Texas needs to win more than Ohio State does. There is a quote stating that "Going into the season, the thinking in Austin was, as long as they don't lose too badly up in Columbus, they'd have a chance in the National Title picture." This has changed now that the other two big opponents that Texas will face, Oklahoma and Texas A&M, have already lost, weakening the strength of schedule aspect of Texas' season. OSU on the other hand still has to face Michigan and Iowa, two highly ranked teams. Ohio State could lose this game early, and still be in the National Title hunt if they win the rest of the games with solid wins over Michigan and Iowa. Personally, I'd rather win them all. I have faith in my boys this year. I also like that quote because it gives you the sense that Texas fans are expecting a loss. Of course that's one guy's opinion and he is an OSU grad, but I like thinking that there is fear in Texas. A night game in the Horseshoe, under the lights with over 100000 crazed fans cheering on the Buckeyes is going to be amazing. I only wish I could be there. I don't have two grand to spare though. Maybe I should get Woody to come with me and see if his magic could work again. Maybe he could get a pair of tickets for $40.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Woody! said...

Was it really the Michigan game I got into? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have expected to get in with only $20 for college football's premiere rivalry. I think it was some scrub team like Indiana or Northwestern.

Eric Rhodes said...

No, It was Michigan, I think. Maybe Bryan remembers for sure. Hey, is there a way to block anonymous comments? I've been getting alot lately.

Woody! said...

You can add something that makes people fill out another form that will prevent the automatic computer posters. Also, you can just delete the comments yourself.