Saturday, August 26, 2006

Galactica vs. a Star Destroyer



I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask the question: If Adama and the Galactica crew were to stumble into the Star Wars 'verse and run into an Emperial Star Destroyer, who would win? As you know, I have been collecting both Star Wars and Battle Star Galactica miniatures. Yesterday I found a Viper Mark VII to complete my BSG collection (there were only three ships: The Galactica, the Viper Merk VII, and a Cylon Riader) and this morning I put the ships on my desk. I have an A-Wing and a Star Destoryer up there too. Seeing the Star Destoryer and the Galactica next to each other, the previously mentioned question popped into my head. I have to admit, I am a bit stumped by the question. Here are my thoughts:

1. A Star Destroyer has energy weapons. Galactica has projectile based weapons. Advantage Star Destroyer

2. A Star Destroyer has energy shields that can be taken out if you hit the shield generator. Galactica has an outer hull that can withstand a nuclear blast. Advantage Galactica

3. The Star Destroyer has squadrons of TIE Fighters. Galactica has squadrons of Vipers. In my opinion, the Vipers are much more manuverable and the pilots are better (TIE fighter pilots always seem to fly right into an X-Wing's line of fire). Also, the Viper can perform a 180 turn in a split second. Advantage Galactica.

4. If this battle were to take place in the Star Wars 'verse, the Star Destroyer would have all sorts of back up, considering there are hundreds of Star Destroyers. So, if the Star Destroyer would get into trouble, they could call for help and several more Destroyers, or the Executor, Vader's Super Star Destroyer, could come in and mop up the Galactica. Not to mention the Death Star. However, if this battle were to take place on neutral ground, I like Galactica's chances. They have been up against the odds many times. In a neutral setting, advantage Galactica.

5. The commanders of Star Destroyers always seemsed to be cocky and stupid. Whenever they'd fail (which was often) they would go apologise to Vader thinking that he would forgive them and respect the fact that they took responsibility for thier screw ups. Come on! Vader force-choaked more Star Destroyer commanders than I can count. Adama, on the other hand, is smart and daring. He took two to the chest and was too stubborn to know that he should have died. Advantage Galactica.

Having never seen a Star Destoryer and the Galactica next to each other, I can't really judge the size differences. I tend to think that the Star Destroyer is bigger (the Emperor seems like the kind of guy that would buy big, fancy rides to compensate for some short comings) but I think that the Galactica is built sturdier and could be functional after taking more punishment. So, my verdict is this: If the Battlestar Galactica went one on one against an Emperial Star Destroyer, I think that the Galactica would come out on top after a long drawn out battle. Yes, the Galactica would be severly damaged, but Adama would pull out all of the stops in order to insure a victory, where as an Empirial commander would pee himself and worry too much about getting force choaked by Vader. The winner: Galactica

1 comment:

Woody! said...

I would guess Star Destroyer, simply because I think it's bigger.