Monday, October 03, 2005

A bye week and up 2....

It was an interesting week in college football. As my title indicates, OSU had a bye week this past weekend and moved up 2 positions in the polls. LSU lost on Monday and Florida got stomped by Alabama on Saturday. I filled the void of an OSU football free weekend by watching the Michigan vs. Michigan State game. It was a good one. At first, it looked like Michigan was going to roll over MSU, but the Spartans came back. It ended up going to OT where Michigan took the game with a field goal. I had thought that MSU was going to be the team to beat in the big Ten, but now I'm not too sure. It's up in the air again. One thing that scares me a little is how badly Penn State beat Minnesota. Penn state is now undefeated so far this year and the Buckeyes head out to Happy Valley this weekend. I was feeling confident about the game, but the Penn State win gives me reason to worry a bit. I still feel confident that the Buckeyes can win, but the past two years, OSU has lost a night game immediately following a bye week. Two years ago they lost to Wisconsin, and last year they lost to Northwestern. Hopefully it is not a pattern. One thing that is obvious is that the rest of the Big Ten doesn't play very much defense. The average total scores of the 5 Games played by Big Ten teams is 61 points (both teams added together). Granted, one of the teams playing was Notre Dame, but they put up 49 points on Purdue. I am pretty confident that the OSU defense can carry the team to the Big Ten title. The problem is that Wisconsin is undefeated, and OSU does not play the Badgers. If both teams win out, Wisconsin would have the better overall record and win the title.

Speaking of the upcoming OSU vs. Penn State game, we are having a cookout this weekend for the game. It should be a pretty good turn out. My bowling team is coming and bringing their wives and some other people are going to stop by. I hope everyone will be able to come out. I know it's hard for out-of-towners to make arrangements for places to stay and all that. It's a late game, so it's not like you could drive all the way to Columbus, watch the game, and then head home. I do have some room for people to stay, but not a whole lot. It should be a good time though. Food, drink, cards, whatever. We always make too much food and usually have left overs for the week. Yummy junk food left overs...mmmmmmm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the cookout, man-
Hope Joe Pa & his freshman upstarts don't spoil the weekend fun.