Friday, October 14, 2005

Bowling Woes

Some of you may know that I am in a bowling league that meets on Thursdays. It is an all male league with four bowlers per team. I'm a fair bowler and carry around a 180 average. Well, so far this year, my team has been getting used like a five cent whore on coupon day. Are we bowling bad? Not really. It just seems like when we are a little off our game, the teams we are bowling against are staying at their averages and when we are average, the teams we bowl against are hot. The way our league scores is that each game is worth two points and the final series counts as one point, so seven points per week. So far, the best that we have managed in a week is three points. To be a contender in the league, a team needs to take five to seven points per week. As a result we are at the bottom of the barrel. We still have a good time, but it would be better if we would win a few more games. Last week we won one game by a lot and lost the other two games by a total of about 30 pins. Last night we won one by a lot and lost the other two by a total of about 30 pins. For those of you without calculators, that's 6 out of 14 points. The silver lining about last night is that I was on fire. 209, 189, 235. It's the best I've done in a while. The funny part is that, if you read one of my prevuious posts, I hurt my foot/ankle on Saturday. Like a man, I played through the pain. I know that women do that too, but the statement loses a bit if I say 'like a woman, I played through the pain'. To say 'like a true athelete' would imply that bowling is anything more than a reason to get out of the house and drink. I suppose that ESPN carries it, thus making it a sport, but something that a 500 pound man can do as well as a 100 pound woman, raises the question as to whether or not bowling is truely a sport. No, I do not weigh 500 pounds. I was making an exaple. I guess I could pose the question as to whether or not ESPN is even a sports channel any more. They carry poker and I once saw the Scrabble championship on ESPN. Scrabble?? I am gatting off the topic. The woes in 'Bowling Woes' is that, dispite the fact that we bowl alright, we are still getting beaten too much for my taste.

Speaking of getting beaten too much, I have tickets to the OSU game tomorrow (nice seguay, eh?). I have to admit that I am not as excited about the game as I would be if the Buckeyes were 5-0 instead of 3-2. The bottom line is that they let go two games that they could have won. It's very irritating. Well, I will still go to the game, I will still cheer for the Buckeyes and the Band, and I will still have fun. I just won't pick any roses any time soon.

No comments: