Monday, October 10, 2005

I'm never going to have another OSU cookout...

Every time I have a cookout for an OSU game, they lose. Wisconsin twice and now Penn State. Watching a losing effort by the Buckeyes causes the atomosphere of the party go from good, to tense, to plan bad. The defense was great. They did everything they needed to to keep Ohio State in the game. It wasn't until the last few minutes of the game that I became truly worried because I knew that the defense would get the ball back to the offense. Now, the offense blew chunks. More specifically, Troy Smith blew. He missed wide open receivers and took bad sacks for losses. Then, he throws the interception that leads to the winning touchdown. Everything else in the game was dead even. At one point the yards gained by each team were almost exactly even. To be honest, I've never been a Troy Smith fan. Yes, he made plays, but he'd rely on his legs rather than making passes to his open receivers. Saturday's game seemed the exact opposite. He'd stay in the pocket waiting to pass when he should have run. Or, he'd miss open receivers and make bad passes. Plus, they can't seem to get the bal to Ted Ginn Jr. I guess Penn State's defense did a good job of shutting him down, but it seems like he's just not getting the ball at all. I guess I need to give Penn State credit. They had a good game plan and shut down the Buck's offense. Plus the crowd was loud and full of energy, making it a truely hostile place to play. It is so frustrating that we can put up so many points against Iowa, and then suck so bad after a bye week. Well, I guess there's always an outside possibility of winning the Big Ten title. Penn State needs to lose a few and Ohio State needs to win out. It probably won't happen, but we can hope.

On top of the Buckeyes losing, the kids that were over DESTROYED my basement. There is crap all over the place. That's the thing I hate about having other people's kids over. You can't really yell at them and the parents don't really do much to keep them in check. The party ended after the little kids started throwing things at each other and one of them took a blow to the head. There was blood and screaming. It's really no one's fault because I'm sure they were just playing a dumb game, but the older kids should have put a stop to it or told an adult what was going on before someone was hurt. Well, we had fund until the Bucks lost and the kids got out of control. Oh! and then on top of it all, I took the trash out and stepped badly on the edge of my driveway, twisting my ankle and falling on my ass. It HURT. Nothing like laying in your driveway in the light rain unable to stand up. I was finally able to hobble inside and wallow in my agony.

Don't worry. Just because I'll never have another OSU game cookout doesn't mean that I'll never have another cookout. Maybe I'll make it a spring cookout or maybe an OSU bye week cook out. Then people can just gather to have fun and won't get angry when the Bucks lose. I have tckets for this weekend's game. I'll probably go, but I am not as excited about it as I was on Friday. It is against Michigan State, so it should still be a good game. Maybe they'll put Zwick in and see if the offense can get going with a better passer at the helm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.