Monday, October 17, 2005

Worst Game Ever.....With the Best Ending

I went with my dad to the OSU vs. Michigan State game this past Saturday. I usually go with Jessica, but she had to work. I was going to go with my buddy Jesse, but he had to work too. And since Bryan already has a press pass, I decided to take my Dad. It was pretty fun. It's funny how worked up he gets about bone head plays, and there were a LOT of bone head plays by the Buckeyes. I am now a firm believer that Troy Smith should be benched. There was a point when the OSU faithful were booing him. It started off with poor offensive possessions and the OSU defense getting picked apart by the MSU quarterback. The defense did well on first downs, but second down plays usually netted enough yardage for MSU to get a first down. Luckily, the defense tightened up enough to hold MSU to relatively few points. The write up I book marked above makes it out as Smith being the hero of the game. In reality, he missed wide open Ted ginn Jr about three or four times and taking a sack or throwing incomplete passes, and he missed Gonzales wide open and fumbled, again. The Buckeyes turned the ball over 4 times. How they won, I don't know. On top of all things, Santonio Holmes muffed two kick returns ( he was able to recover one of them) and Ted Ginn Jr. muffed one as well. When Holmes finally caught a punt, the crowd gave him a very sarcastic cheer. Why did Ohio State win? 1. Because of the MSU screw up on the last second field goal atempt. The special teams coach sent the field goal unit out when the head coach wanted them to spike the ball to stop the clock first. The confusion enabled OSU to block the kick and run the ball back for a score, making it a 3 point game instead of a 13 point MSU lead. 2. Smith finally started to hit wide open receivers for long scores. First, he hit Santonio Holmes and then Tedd Ginn Jr. Finally, another TD to Holmes finished it. I have been saying all year that I wanted the offense to throw some long balls to the to wide receivers. One of the plays, both Holmes and Ginn were easily ten years behind their defenders. 3. The crowd at the end of the game was probably the loudest and most intense I have ever heard it. In the fourth quarter, with MSU trying to get back into the game, the crowd was so loud that it hindered the MSU offense and lifted OSU defense to a new level. It was amazing. The defense played so well in the last two MSU possesions that it was like a different team. The QB was hit more times than a punching bag. I wish I could forget the first half of that game, but am glad I was there for the final six munites or so. Hopfully the offense can solve some issues this coming Saturday against Indiana.

Another thing about the game is where our seats were. We were directly above one of the student sections, and let me tell you, the coeds at OSU are still very easy on the eyes. Oh, and I forgot sun screen, so I have horrible burns on my legs, arms,and face. OUCH!

1 comment:

Woody! said...

Congrats on the win. Sounds like you and your dad had fun... eventually.