Monday, April 21, 2008

Jumping the Shark?

Jump the Shark: When the Fonz went water skiing and jumped a shark, it was considered the moment in Happy Days that the show was coming to an end. Has my two favorite shows, Battlestar Galactica and Dr Who jumped their sharks? I have written about these shows often. I love them, have loved them since they started. However, the debut of Dr Who and the beginning episodes of the last season of BSG have been kind of weak.

BSG - I thought that, since we are in the last season, we would be getting answers and the story line would start to progress. Instead, we are getting weak subplots that are taking the show in weird directions. Apparently, Baltar is some religious vessel and hot girls are hiding him in a 'secret' room on Galactica, Apollo wants to be a political pain in the ass of the president, instead of a kick ass viper pilot, and we needed a whole episode to show that at least one of the new Cylons is a murderous bitch. Oh, and Calli can't hold her breath in space. The one saving grace so far has been all of the Cylon in fighting. It has been interesting and had a few suprises here and there. Other than that, this season has been kind of boring.

Dr. Who - I wasn't too thrilled with the season debut of Dr Who. It was an hour and a half long, instead of the normal hour episodes. It was pretty weak. Robots reprogrammed to kill instead of help people. I think they used that plot already. And why are all of the season debuts of Dr Who taking place on Christmas Day? I guess they are trying to show a linear progression of time somehow, but I don't see why when time travel is one of the show's cornerstones. They also seem to be trying to make the David Tennant Dr Who all bad ass. "I'm the Doctor and I'm the one that is going to save you. Any questions?" That may not be the exact quote, but it is close.

I am not going to stop watching these shows, but I hope they get better soon.

6 comments:

Woody! said...

Dr. Who always starts with a "Christmas Special" because that's a big deal over there to have a special, oversized episode to show on Christmas night. I felt like they went pretty far to show that, without a companion, the Doctor is "off." I mean, he barely saved anyone and needed others to step up in order for him to make it through alive. I think that will set up the rest of the season.

I'm behind on BSG but it does seem like it's in no hurry to wrap things up.

Eric Rhodes said...

Good observation about the Doctor, Woody. I hadn't thought about that.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't read your post because I haven't watched season 3, yet....so I didn't want anything you said to give stuff away.

Anonymous said...

Of BSG.

Eric Rhodes said...

I think I will go on record for all the guys out there: Girls that watch BSG are hot.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! That's funny.