Thursday, January 31, 2008

Ever have a conversation take a SHARP turn?

So, I went to Krogers last night to pick up a bottle of wine to have with dinner. I went in, got the wine, and went straight to the checkout line, no hustle, no bustle. I like to powershop. Anyway, the cashier was under age, so she had to call someone over to ring up my purchase. So, it was me, the guy scanning the wine, and the bag girl. As I am waiting, the conversation between these three people went to the fact that the cashier didn't like the dark and slept with a night light. I understood this, since I have trouble sleeping in pitch black. The guy ringing up the order laughed at the girl, so I jokingly chastized him, asking why he had to make fun. "Lots of people sleep with night lights." This is when the turn took place. The SHARP turn. The cashier who started the night light talk said something like, "Yeah, I need to have a light on when I sleep. I see demons." Bwwwhhhhaaaattt????? She had a dead serious look on her face. I quickly shut my mouth, paid, and ran. How do you have a conversation at your work, in front of customers, where you state that you see demons? Wow.

That is all I can say.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny. I probably would have smiled and nodded with an "Oh, really?" comment which the interpretation would be "Wow....that's f*%ked up."

Bryan said...

Hahaha. That's awesome. I see demons at night sometimes, like when the puppy decides it's playtime and Lucy turns into a demon growling at her.

Eric Rhodes said...

I was reminded of Shallow Hal when Tony Robbins (I think that is his name) put his hand on Jack Black's head and said, "Demons Be Gone!"

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is why I shop at Whole Foods. The most I ever get in the check out line is a story about tree hugging. But really..

Being in the public all day, you DO forget that customers hear you. You kind of live with false idea that there's a curtain between you and them. Although I've never said anything about my issues ( I think), I know I have forgotten where am when speaking. It's a danger of the profession!

Woody! said...

Wow. Just... wow. Glad you got out alive.