Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Game

Saturday, November 18th at 3:30 PM is probably going to be the biggest OSU vs M*ch*g*n game in the history of the rivalry. Yes, there have been big games. Countless encounters have decided either the Big Ten title or a which team would be able to play for the National title. Back in my college days, I remember a few heart breaking losses by the Buckeyes in The Game that cost them trips to the Rose Bowl and their National title hopes. It was very hurtful to me. However, there has never been an OSU vs. scUM game when both teams were ranked #1 and #2. Also, this is the first time that the winner of The Game is definately going to play for the National title. Yes, there have been games that OSU has spoiled scUM's title hopes and vice versa, but this is the first time that the winner of The Game, no matter which team, is going to play for the title. It's a pretty big deal. It's even possible, if not probable, that both teams may play for the National title no matter who wins this Saturday. The BCS is so screwy that way. I would just rather OSU stomp on scUM this Saturday so that their spot in the Fiesta Bowl is a lock.

To kick off the weekend, I am taking tomorrow off so that I can participate in HyperFriday. HyperFriday is an OSU Alumni Band tradition where buses take former band members (hence the word 'alumni') around the city to play school songs at various pep rallies. There is lots of free food and drink envolved. It is the first time I am participating in an Alumni Band event. I've wanted to do HyperFriday in the past, but have never had the vacation time available. I am also taking Saturday off so that I can watch all of the pre-game hype. I'm not planning on going anywhere to watch the game, since everywhere is going to be a mad house. Campus is going to be CRAZY. I just hope that the students don't act all stupid like they have in the past.

In honor of OSU vs scUM week, here is one of my favorite M*ch*g*n jokes:

Q: How many M*ch*g*n freshmen does it take to to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. That is a sophomore course at scUM.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my new favorite OSU-UM joke:

An OSU alum and a UM alum walk into a bathroom. They both step up to a urinal and begin to do their business. When they're done, they both zip up. The UM grad heads for the sink and starts to wash his hands while the OSU grad goes straight for the door.

"You know," says the UM grad haughtily, "at Michigan they taught us to wash our hands after going to the bathroom."

The OSU grad casually tosses back, "yeah, well at OSU they taught us not to piss on our hands."

And here's a new one that I heard just recently:

One rainy night, an OSU fan and a UM fan get into a bad accident on a bridge. After making sure they're both ok, the two men notice each others' shirts and start talking about the rivalry.

"In the grand scheme of things, this rivalry is so stupid! I mean, we both could have been killed tonight," says the UM fan.

The OSU fan says, "You know, you're right. Let's put aside our differences! In fact, I have just the thing to celebrate with." He goes to the trunk of his car, pulls out a bottle of whiskey, and hands it to the UM fan who takes a few generous swigs. He then hands it back to the OSU fan who screws the cap back on.

"Aren't you going to have any?" asks the UM fan.

Throwing the bottle over the side of the bridge into the river, the OSU fan replies, "Nah, I think I'll just wait for the cops to show up."

Woody! said...

Yeah, that's my favorite joke, too.

Hope you enjoyed HyperFriday.

Have fun tomorrow!