Sunday, November 19, 2006

De Ja Vu

I received three envelopes from NetFlix on Thursday. I opened the first envelope and saw an advertisement for the new Denzel Washington movie called DeJa Vu, a movie about group of people that figured how to go back in time.

I received three envelopes from NetFlix on Thursday. I opened the second envelope and saw an advertisement for the new Denzel Washington movie called DeJa Vu, a movie about a group of people that figured how to go back in time.

I received three envelopes from NetFlix on Thursday. I opened the third envelope and saw an advertisement for the new Denzel Washington movie called DeJa Vu, a movie about a group of people that figured out how to go back in time.

I don't really get the premise of the movie. I have seen a few commercials and to be honest, the film looks a little dumb to me. Didn't Jean Claude VanDamme do a movie like this called Time Cop? I didn't go see that and I doubt I will see DeJa Vu. I mean come on. If time travel were EVER possible, don't you think that we'd have people from the future coming back in time already? Or is it like Star Trek and they have a Temporal Prime Directive that forbids time travelers to change the past? Otherwise, why wouldn't someone come back to stop 9/11 or the Kennedy assasination? Heck, if I could go back in time, I'd probably change some things in my life too. There's also a TV show that deals with DeJa Vu. I think it is called Day Break. It involves a man that lives the same day over and over until he makes things right. Hello. Ground Hog Day anyone? I guess I just don't get the whole point of making these shows and movies that have been done already in one form or another. I seem to recall another show called Seven Days where they are able to go back in time, but only seven days in the past.

I guess if you really think about it, there aren't really any original stories out there anymore. Most movies and shows are recycled ideas from other movies, plays, and TV show. I think the last movie that I saw that really blew me away because of it's original idea was The Matrix. What really gets me isn't that some movies and shows rip off ideas from other meduims, it's that some movies and shows are exact copies of old shows and movies. Take the latest version of The Omen. It was done almost exactly the same as the original version. What's the point? Same thing with that Adam Sandler movie about the prison football team (The Longest Yard?). It was a remake (and a bad one at that, from what I hear) of a 70's movie of the same name. It's just silly. Why can't people come up with new ideas anymore. I guess it is hipocritcal of me since my favorite TV show it Battlestar Galactica, which is a remake. The difference is, the definately improved on the original. Better acting, better stories, and better effects.

4 comments:

Woody! said...

Yeah, the movie sounds almost identical to the show 7 Days. I'm really surprised they can get away with pretending it's not.

Also, the Matrix is just a rip-off of the Allegory of the Cave. Didn't you have Dr. Berta? He explained it all.

Anonymous said...

I had Dr. Berta, but apparently I zoned out during that part.

Yeah, it doesn't look like a movie I'd want to see in the theaters. I might rent it, tho.

Eric Rhodes said...

I never had Dr Berta. Hey, wasn't the Matrix out after our highschool days? Or are we really that old?

Anonymous said...

I had Berta but I don't recall the Cave. It sounds a little familiar though. I truly wonder how much of the stuff we were taught at school we remember. It is scary how little we do recall.