Sunday, April 09, 2006

Don't call is a come back....

So, I hosted a poker game last night. It wasn't a huge game, but 12 people showed up to play. It was a good amount. We started out with two tables and I was doing well. Things turned ugly when I bet big with two kings and was trounced by three aces. I started to play really tight so that I would be able to stay in the game for as long as possible. Nothing is worse than hosting a poker game and getting knocked out early. We went down to one table when we got down to nine players and I was low stack in the chip category. The blinds were coming around to me and $200 and $400, and I had $365 left. If you don't know poker, blinds are forced bets that are made by the two people to the left of the dealer. So, when the big blind rolled my way (at $400) I was forced to put all of my remaining chips in the pot. I was 'all in'. Everyone was waiting for the enevitable conclusion that I was out. Well, I was dealt two aces and won the hand. I now had over $800 in chips. Still not great, but I was going to be able to hang around for a while. The next hand (I was in the small blind of $200) I was dealt two nines. I played the hand and two other people stayed in with me. When a third nine came up on the flop, I went all in again and won another hand, bumping me up to over $2400 chips. Now I'm in business and I eliminated another player. I'll make a long story short by telling you that I was low stack with nine players left at the table and was able to fight back to take second place. I'd like to say it was skill, but the truth is that I got lucky and hit big hands when I needed to. Still, it was a great game or me and a good time was had by all.

Be sure to check out pictures of Amy and Johnny's baby boy. Congrats to mom and dad.

No comments: